Group: General Diet & Nutrition

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 399, Messages: 16719

With such a topic so broad we truly try to cover the basics from all angles in this group. Nothing too big or too small. Nutrition is as significant if not more as exercise is to reaching your goals so learn all you can.

Join group

gastric bypass, weight loss hernias

lordxena
lordxena
United States
2003/09/02, 01:00 PM
Hi,

A friend of mine was interesting in doing a gastric bypass. However, at the seminar, she learned that there was a 40% chance of getting a hernia depending on where her fat was in relation to the skin once she lost the weight. The hernias developed because the muscle would weaken in the places where the fat had been located.
Now the question is, when someone loses 100+ pounds, regardless of whether it's through regular diet and exercise or through a surgical procedure, does this mean that they now become a candidate for hernias?
thx
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2003/09/02, 01:08 PM
No the reason why with the surgery is that they have to cut thru the muscle and therefor weaken that area. I would have your friend really really research this srugery. It does work but there can be a lot of very nasty and sometimes deadly after efects....it does not always happen but Please have her try a good true eating plan and exercise first.....not a diet but true good eating habits and give it some time......

--------------
Eat More, Drink More, and Lift Harder than you thought you could, welcome to Becoming!
Lonegirl
Lonegirl
Canada
2003/09/02, 06:25 PM
Your friend needs to realize it can be done WITHOUT surgery. I have done it. It just takes time and education and retraining oneself how to eat and live. Goals mus t be small not big (I will lose 100lbs) A big goal is great must she must make little ones first...this week I will have no sweetened cola. Every little improvement is a big goal when you first start out. It doesn't have to be a big change fast...that's why people give up...heck if you eat 5 chocolate bars everyday but today you eat 4, that is still an improvement. I wish your friend well and I hope she gets up the courage to do it without surgery.
lordxena
lordxena
United States
2003/09/04, 03:42 PM
> No the reason why with the surgery is that they have to cut >thru the muscle and therefor weaken that area.

Does this mean that the same goes for any surgery that gets done to an overweight person that suddenly loses weight?
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2003/09/04, 03:58 PM
It goes for anyone that has a surgery that cuts all the way thru the stomach muscle. Not just an overweight person.

--------------
Eat More, Drink More, and Lift Harder than you thought you could, welcome to Becoming!
njcarddevil
njcarddevil
United States
2007/11/03, 01:44 PM
I had gastric bypass sugery 4 weeks ago and have just been cleared for exercise. I asked the dr. about this and he said "everything in moderation. Go slow and give muscles time to learn how to work. They are healed (I had the laproscopic so only four 1 inch incisions) but you haven't used them in a long time. So i will go slow.

And i did try for many years to do it myself but due to health problems and having to be on massive steroids for years i could not... after 4 weeks i have already lost 44 pounds...and already feel better... no sleep apnea.. more energy... just starting my journey...but already feel better! wish me luck!!
BILL06
BILL06
United States
2007/11/03, 11:09 PM
Good for you NJ, and like you my reasons for the bypass is strictly medical, i wish i had the time to do this the sweat, blood and tears way but i dont, my heart wont wait the 2 years of working out and proper eating, thou id love to do it that way, if only to prove to others it can be done. i have 160lbs to lose, and i DO realize it that it can be done without surgery, but life isnt that simple sometimes, there was a huge amount of thought put into this decision, and in december, after surgery, ill know if ive made the correct one, until then, i continue to eat clean and exercise, which ill do after...

I have an umbilical hernia as we speak, due to my heavy lifting requirements at work, which they'll fix the day of surgery, but like MUTT said, anytime they have to cut through ab muscle, you are at a higher risk for hernia, you just have to be more mindful.... Good luck...

--------------
I was bruised and battered and I couldnt tell
what I felt
I was unrecognizable to myself
Saw my reflection in a window I didnt know
my own face ...

Get busy living or get busy dying.