Group: General Fitness & Exercise

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 375, Messages: 54577

Various general exercise related discussions. Find out what it takes to reach your fitness goals through daily effective exercise. With so many options we try to find out what works best.

Join group

Whey Protein After Cardio?

RTLintner
RTLintner
United States
2004/02/19, 07:33 PM
Hey guys, I am currently drinking a whey protein shake after my weight lifting sessions <Monday, Wednesday, and Friday>. Should I drink whey on the days that I do cardio <Tuesday, Thursday>? Thanks. (Someone recommended that I consider drinking MRPs on my off <cardio> days instead of a protein shake.)

--------------
Pain is weakness leaving the body.
mmaibohm
mmaibohm
United States
2004/02/19, 07:43 PM
I try to drink 3 shakes a day. especially after my work out. The whey is a good fast acting protein, for during the day use I mix it with milk to slow it's absorbtion. Good luck - Mike

--------------
I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it is gone past me I will turn to see fear's path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain
goldengloves
goldengloves
United States
2004/02/19, 07:43 PM
Drinking whey protein after a cardio workout is ok. I always have and see no reason not to...on my off days I usually eat breakfast then do cardio and then right after cardio go upstairs and make me a protein shake.
RTLintner
RTLintner
United States
2004/02/19, 08:09 PM
Thank you, Mike/goldengloves.

--------------
Pain is weakness leaving the body.
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2004/02/19, 08:13 PM
After any type physical activity, I have a whey shake. Before for some fuel an MRP may be a good idea, so you have some carbs to burn. I like to split one with my wife, so I have 1/2 an MRP before doing cardio if it is during the day.:big_smile:

--------------
If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything....
Datdanigirl
Datdanigirl
United States
2004/02/19, 09:13 PM
MRP.. Meal Replacement P-uhh.. <<guessing>> sorry I'm a bit slow on the acronyms please??

This is a question I was going to post as well re: Protein after Cardio vs. Resistance, thanks for the jump on it! :big_smile:

Also, is a whey shake better than coming home and eating some tuna??

:) Thanks for any answer in advance! :)

--------------
: ] ~ Danielle

Firm Butt Thin Thighs Flat Abs - repeat this mantra as needed whenever an unhealthy urge arises.
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2004/02/19, 09:58 PM
You can have both. The shake will get asimilated into your blood stream quicker (The tuna is a solid, takes longer) and then have your meal which might include your tuna. It's best to have the shake within 30 min after your workout.
Hope this helps.

--------------
"A will finds a way"
Ivan Montreal Canada
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2004/02/19, 10:55 PM
A "liquid meal" is always superior to a whole food meal post exercise, faster uptake, quick nutrient replenishment. Now, you should get in a whole food meal soon, because gastric emptying will occur rather quickly with the liquid meal in most cases, so it is smart to get a well balanced meal in soon after the supplemental one. For instance in the post workout shake scenario of dextrose/malto and protein, gastric emptying will occur rather quickly, so within an hour after your shake would be a good time to get in a good balanced meal.:big_smile: This meal should ideally be protein and fat laden, as insulin sensitivity is most probably very low at this time, and fats would do well to increase sensitivity again, plus the anabolic effect EFA's can have on protein synthesis at this time.

--------------
Papish
Papish
United States
2004/02/20, 07:29 PM
Should one also have protein shakes after workouts if they are trying to lose body fat? or is protein only for those looking to gain mass?

Thanks..
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2004/02/20, 07:46 PM
Have your protein shake in both cases. Studies have proven that post workout nutrition will not inhibit burning of bodyfat. You will need to adjust your simple carb amounts as you cut calories, but always have your full allotment of protein. Without it, you will quite probably lose the best thing that is your fat burner, lean tissue, thus making it even more difficult to burn fat.

--------------