Group: Health & Fitness over 40

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 197, Messages: 2480

Group dedicated to men and women over the age of 40 that care about their health and want to take the fitness and nutrition down the right path.

Join group

Sticky Training over 40

resultset_first resultset_previous 1 2 of 2 pages
nomad09
nomad09
United States
2012/01/18, 11:31 AM
Hello everyone, I just got back into this.  Having 11 grandchildren I want to be around (healthy of course) for a while.  Still like tossing the football with them.  I live in the Jersey area so be helpful to have a work out partner,but that will come.    I started a program and is working good.   I was 5'11 245lbs,  now down to 236lbs.  Gaining size and losing weight what a combo.

Here comes the question  I see a lot of protein drinks for post workout.  Some of the protein content states anywhere from 20 to 70 grams.   How much is effective to be downing after a workout and how much is overkill?  I heard (not reliable source) different opinions that body will separate too much protein. 

Anyone offer some insight?

Thanks..
2012/01/18, 12:22 PM
I don't use the protein supplements for a number of reasons. Some protien supplements are loaded with sweeteners. You need to read labels and measure carefully. A protein supplement that measures 35 grams of protein per scoop is a good benchmark. Also look carefully at the fat content.

Any kind of high protein snack post workout is good. I prefer to eat something be it turkey, tuna, cottage cheese, walnuts etc. Moderation is the key.
nomad09
nomad09
United States
2012/01/18, 02:10 PM
Always looking at fats,sugar,sodium, etc  just wondering why someone would need so much protein (40-70) per serving?   I can not see how the body would absorb.
I like the drink right after because of the wonderful NJ traffic we have here.  Sometime it takes an hour to go three miles home.
2012/01/18, 02:59 PM
You can just use less if it's a powder. As to why so much, remember the supplement people are trying to sell supplement. I don't think you can absorb that much protein in one shot. I think that 35 grams post workout is about all your body can absorb.

Here is a more in depth look at protein requirements.

http://www.freetrainers.com/c/nutrition/protein_fats_carbohydrates/

If the supplement doesn't bump your calories or fats up too much it probably wont hurt you but you will just pass what your body can't use. Hopefully they will have the search engine up before long. This has been a much discussed subject over the years. You are absolutely correct in that ingesting protein ASAP  post workout is best.
Warfulpiece
Warfulpiece
United States
2018/04/16, 08:59 AM
From what I understand , losing fat and building muscle shouldn’t be attempted at the same time.because they require two different diets(beginner gains is the exception where both can be possible for a short duration
resultset_first resultset_previous 1 2 of 2 pages