Group: Eating Disorders

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 33, Messages: 1316

Find the advice that you need by sharing and learning from others experiences. You're never alone.

Join group

Obsessive Calorie Counting.

Aaron98
Aaron98
United States
2009/04/22, 09:51 PM
Hi, I turned 18 a few months ago and for the past year and a half I have been counting my calories. I have counted every calorie basically everyday after my coach told me to. I need help stopping. It's a bad habit that I don't even need. I didn't know how many calories I needed each day so I just thought 2000 since it said on the nutrition labels of everything.

I wanted to be great at sports (mostly wrestling). I worked out over the whole past summer and I restricted myself to 2000 calories each day. Soon enough wrestling came around and I still restricted my calories to 2000 not knowing i needed more. I started feeling light-headed and tired all of the time, so I went to the doctor. The doctor checked and realized I weighed 10 pounds less than I did when I was last there about a year ago.

Then came the calorie counting part. I explained everything and he freaked out saying I had an eating disorder. I knew it, I was scared. He told me to get blood tests and an EKG. I did later that day and my results from the EKG was a very low heart rate. My resting heart rate was 38. I was tired all of the time and when I ran or did anything more than that I was light-headed.

All of my bloodwork was fine, but I had to get over this. I had to go back to my doctor every week for about two months to see how I was doing weight wise. Then after going to multiple psychologists (none worked) I am now faced with this myself.

I'm 18, I need to gain some weight, and stop counting my calories. I am eating more than normal not restricting myself to 2000 a day, but trying to remain close. I guesstimate how many calories I burn a day, so I eat close to there.

I am trying to gain weight back and I keep seeming to over eat or freak out about eating too many calories. I want to stop, I spend countless hours thinking about what I'm going to eat next and how many calories I have eaten that day. When I really should be making friends and socializing. I've lost all of my friends and I need to build my life back. I don't know what to do. I am trying to eat more, but I feel out of control and that I'm over eating and eating out of boredom. I want to recover, but i dont want to build unhealthy eating habits at the same time. Anybody help please.

Thanks for your time.
Aaron