Group: Eating Disorders

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 33, Messages: 1316

Find the advice that you need by sharing and learning from others experiences. You're never alone.

Join group

Need Help

Brummymummy
Brummymummy
United Kingdom
2009/03/02, 11:32 AM
Hi

Sorry if this turns out to be a long first post.

:(

I have been to the doctors on a number of occasions, I CANNOT EAT!!! I am a 38 year old female, 6ft and weigh 140lbs. I have absolutely no appetite what so ever. The thought of having something to eat and then getting that 'Full Up' feeling fills me with dread. The doctor asked if I was making myself vomit (no) he asked if I thought I was over weight (absolutely not) When I tried to explain how I felt he more or less told me to stop wasting his time and go eat. I hav'nt been back since.

(sorry to repeat myself here) A friend of mine showed me some photographs today of me, that had been taken over the weekend. I look absolutely terrible.

I do know I have a problem, I DO know that I need help, so please don't tell me to go back to the doctors because he was no help at all, in fact he made me worse.

I have had a good look around the site, but as I am a new member, I got abit lost, found some useful info, what foods to eat, etc, and then could'nt remember where I had seen them..:laugh:

Can I just say at this point....what a fantastic site this is, even the last hour I have read so much useful info...pity I forgot where it was.

If someone could direct me to some useful posts...that would be fantastic.
returnofplex
returnofplex
United States
2009/03/05, 03:13 PM
You need to think of your body as a machine. It needs fuel. Even if you don't like to eat you still need to. The trick with food is not eating too much. Do a google search for "metabolic rate calculator". After putting in your stats, it'll come up with a baseline for calories you can eat without gaining weight. This is often called your "maintainence level". It's a bit easier when you can plug numbers into your diet. So even if you don't like food, you'll know about how much to eat to keep running. You may need to progressively step-up to the calorie amount if you've been starving yourself though, as your body may be in "starvation mode" and try to hoard any extra calories.