Group: Health & Fitness over 40

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 206, Messages: 2480

Group dedicated to men and women over the age of 40 that care about their health and want to take the fitness and nutrition down the right path.

Join group

Is Billy Blanks tae Bo' good cardio?

jan1959
jan1959
United States
2011/10/12, 09:35 AM
Hi, I am 53 tears old, and have always done some form of exercise. I love doing tae bo, but was wondering if this is a good sourse of cardio for my age bracket or is there something more beneficial. I lift weights 3 days a week. I have noticed my body is more prone to aches and pains which makes me not have the desire to work out consistantly, which in turn knocks my energy level down to 0.
2011/10/12, 03:11 PM
My 91 year old mother practices tae bo for balance and flexibility. I can't imagine that it would suffice for cardio training. The idea behind cardio is to get your heart rate up to around 90% max for your age and keep it there fro 20 to 40 minutes depending on your goal.

A balanced training regimen includes diet, weight training and cardio in that order of importance. I assume here that you have sense enough to consult your physician on your limitations if you are a beginner.

Use the Google to find a chart with cardio heart rates for a given age. I have no clue if you're overweight or what your physical condition may be. That's your responsibility.

If you seriously want help here, fill out your profile with the info any responsible person would need to safely and realistically help you.

I' know you're 53 and nothing else including your gender, weight, height, general shap exercise experience.

Additionally, at the bottom of this page is a search engine. There are very few questions that haven't been asked and answered. I say this not to discourage your asking but to let you know that you can find a variety of answers to the same type of questions. Pay attention to the answers from moderators and those who have a very large number of posts. That info is on the right of the post under the poster's name.

You may find good info from a rookie but your best bullshit filter is to listen to mods and experience.

--------------
I would have a million dollars now if only I had only followed CNBCs advice...and I had started with a hundred million dollars.

Charlie
2011/10/12, 03:14 PM
FWIW, most of the experienced people here have disappeared because new people never reply to answers, much less say thanks.

If you have additional questions, post here and I will try to give you a good answer. Be sure to learn to use the sight's resources. They are massive.

--------------
I would have a million dollars now if only I had only followed CNBCs advice...and I had started with a hundred million dollars.

Charlie
jan1959
jan1959
United States
2011/10/12, 04:11 PM
Thank You both for answering
yadmit
yadmit
Canada
2011/10/12, 07:01 PM
Charlie... are you talking about Tae Bo or Tai Chi?

--------------
I see the words you are typing, but all I read is *click*click*click*

Fat loss isn?t under the control of the magic fat loss fairies. - Alwyn Cosgrove
2011/10/12, 08:02 PM
Sorry Jan, I looked at a Tea Bo video. It's definitely great cardio. I suspect you knew that. I was thinking Tai Chi as Tim suggested.

--------------

Charlie
yadmit
yadmit
Canada
2011/10/12, 11:35 PM
One of the things I've heard about tae bo is it can be hard on the joints... thus one of the reason for the short lived craze. However, I have never tried it, so not sure what effect it may have on the joints, or at least mine.