Group: Eating Disorders

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 33, Messages: 1316

Find the advice that you need by sharing and learning from others experiences. You're never alone.

Join group

i dont have motivation

Tattz
Tattz
Australia
2008/03/02, 06:07 AM
Im 21 female weighing in at 128kgs and only 5'10,
I get up every morning saying to myself todays the day im going to start my diet, but i never do it, i sit in front of the computer or tv and do nothing i need motivation some confidence in myself. i stand in front of the mirror and try to picture what i would look like being skinny. I get so angry with myself for not doing it so i go back to my room cry and go to bed i need some help so if anyone has been through this or haves any suggestions please tell me......
lyss1929
lyss1929
United States
2008/05/30, 10:08 PM
I know exactly what you're talking about ... I'm 18, 228 pounds, and i'm 5'6. I do the exact same thing (my parents took me out of school my second semester of college, so I've been at home). Iknow that I should start (and I think about starting every single day) but whenever I try to get up and walk around the block (or exercise), I always feel incredibly fat and I don't want to be seen in public (let alone running/walking/exercising at all, for that matter) so I'm having the same problem ... That's why I think these message boards are a great help: you can find support on here to reach your goals. :big_smile:

I also heard that you should be working out at least 30 minutes per day in order to see weight loss, so I'm about to put on my tennis shoes and go for a 30 minute walk. I hope you do find motivation and if you still find yourself in a rut, feel free to e-mail me or just go out there and walk around the block to prove to yourself that you want to change. Best of luck and I hope this helped somehow. :big_smile:

--------------
Skinny jeans, here I come! :big_smile:
Phoenixmoon
Phoenixmoon
United States
2008/09/25, 01:38 PM
my advice, is to put your foot down. make note and stick them up in every place that you would see them. so the remind you why you need to do what you need to do. its almos like a never ending cycle. if you got head phones cd player or mp3 player or something, make some music that just gets you pumped up and go for a walk listening to music. get lost in you music it helps. your in your own little word listening to music. and it works. just post reminders everwhere and sooner or later your going to get sick of seeing the reminders and your gonna do it.

--------------
~P~
cheekymonkai
cheekymonkai
Canada
2008/10/13, 03:17 PM
I TOTALLY understand this! I love to excercise but am the BIGGEST SLACKER when its time actually go....all of a sudden, my nap or tv show becomes to important...and takes over the motivation to actually want to get my butt into the gym. I made a game out of it! I love to nap...I should have been born a cat....I let myself rest for 10mins...just to get a taste and tell myself if I go to the gym...I can reward myself by watching a movie and nap watching it( really should have been born a cat!) I think its best to find the specific things you reaaallllllly like to do, that doesn't involve munching down :cool: and use those as rewards to yourself. Make yourself a scale..such as doing 30 mins, every day for 5 days...take yourself to a movie...or go bowling..go out and buy a new craft thing to do ...uhm..I dont' know what else ppl like to do..point is...its a do and reward system...seems to work for me~!
returnofplex
returnofplex
United States
2008/10/14, 12:07 PM

============
Quoting from tattz:

Im 21 female weighing in at 128kgs and only 5'10,
I get up every morning saying to myself todays the day im going to start my diet, but i never do it, i sit in front of the computer or tv and do nothing i need motivation some confidence in myself. i stand in front of the mirror and try to picture what i would look like being skinny. I get so angry with myself for not doing it so i go back to my room cry and go to bed i need some help so if anyone has been through this or haves any suggestions please tell me......
=============

Diet doesn't need to be a four letter word. It is however the biggest success or failure when it comes to fitness. Switch it to "moderation" to begin with. It's important at the beginning to just make small changes in the foods you eat. Make some substitutions such as reduced calorie mayo or salad dressings. Used shredded cheese instead of slices. Butter substitute on veggies etc.
Once you start moderating, start changing the foods you eat. I like to have a sandwich for lunch, but instead of chips, I eat a salad with low calorie Italian dressing. With dinner I'll have another salad, or small baked potato with butter substitute and a little salt, or low cal sour cream. At night, a cup of low fat cottage cheese with some pineapple chunks.
A lot of people cringe when I recommend counting calories, but you'd be surprised just how much you can eat and still lose weight. Start off by eating around 10 calories per pound of body weight , per day. By making healthier choices in the foods you eat, you'll actually be able to eat more food and still lose weight. For one large side of french fries,calorie wise I can have 1/2 pound of chicken breast, a small baked potato with butter and light sour cream, and a side salad. Does that make sense?
For the exercise part, just start with going on 30 minute walks. Do this a couple times a week. Then start strength training a couple of times a week. I like to alternate cardio in between strength training days. M,W,F, strength training and T,TH for cardio. Weekends are for whatever.
By taking small steps at first, your chances of overall success increase dramatically. Losing weight, and becoming fit are lifestyle changes that have to be permanent. Once you're over the hurdle, it's gets much easier in time. And your body will thank you for it.
mserogers
mserogers
United States
2008/12/18, 03:08 PM
Hi Tattz,

I found that having a buddy helps me. If I tell my friend we are going to go for a walk around the block or that I will meet her at the gym I feel more compelled to do it! You might even be able to find someone on here that is close to you with similar goals.
I also find that if I say I'll start tomorrow, that it is never today. I recently made the choice to change my life to be healthy again and I went for a walk that day at lunch. I made a new grocery list without any junk food. I even found a bike for free that I plan on using as soon as winter is over.
tatme3
tatme3
United States
2009/08/10, 01:29 PM
Friends are definitely awesome motivation, you don't want them to feel like you're blowing them off you you HAVE to go. and I promise you'll love how you feel afterward. Best of luck to ya!

--------------
Initial Success or Total Failure