Group: General Fitness & Exercise

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 376, Messages: 54577

Various general exercise related discussions. Find out what it takes to reach your fitness goals through daily effective exercise. With so many options we try to find out what works best.

Join group

Home Gym Upstairs - weight limit?

Big-E
Big-E
United States
2005/08/11, 04:49 PM
I have not seen this question asked and I can't seem to Google the answer either.

How much weight exactly can I put in an upstairs room before it ends up crushing me while I sleep?

I have a small machine now, it has a 210lb stack, I placed it on 3/4" carpeted plywood. I'm not worried about it at all really, but I want to upgrade and add another machine and freeweights that will add up to an additional 600lbs total.

I'm not sure I will be able to put 3/4" plywood under this one, unless I cover more than 1/4 of the room with plywood.

This is not the exact machine but its close as far as design and dimensions. It as a 210lb stack. Plus I plan on having additional 300 lbs of freeweights.

http://www.bodysolid.com/BSStrength/FreeweightSystems/WSGS348P4S/WSGS348P4S_700X700.jpg

So, with the weight of the old machine, and the new one how will I know if my house can support this? The home was built in 2003.

Zenkei18
Zenkei18
United States
2005/08/11, 05:31 PM
Why not just put it out in the garage like most other people, that would be your safest bet... just park your cars in the driveway or on the sidewalk... no biggie.
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2005/08/11, 06:28 PM
If it was built in 2003 I would THINK it would be ok......however a few things to reamember....

IF you slam the weights down.....you can cause damage to your house......if you have any already exhisting problem( termites water damage) that could be a problem.....

I'd get a contractor to come out.....and look around....to be safe.....I mean 50 bucks.....for yoru safty and the houses.....thats not bad?

** heres a lil side note......in high school......we used rubberized weights for cleans, dls.......and our weight rooom was concrete all the way around.......any my coach showed me a big crack in the wall.......it was a stress fracture from people droping or slamming the weights down....on the concrete floor..they where rubberized.....on top of a 50lb rubber mat......and it still over the years....managed to crack concrete......**** just somthing to think about.

--------------
Friends don't let friends squat high...
Big-E
Big-E
United States
2005/08/11, 09:54 PM
Zenkei18, I have a two car garage and 3 cars. I don't have the space. My homeowners association does not allow for cars to be parked in the street. Anyway, the garage unfortunately is not an option. Either is downstairs which is of course where I would put it if I had the choice. I have plenty of room upstairs... which I guess does not bode well for weights.

Bigandrew, thanks for the comments, your side note is definitely something to think about. Since this morning I have written a note to the builder / architect of this house. I am sure there is some kind of pounds per square inch building standard that must be followed, I just can't find where that info is. I might shoot my past home inspector a note as well.

True it would be spread across a wider area but isn't a bathtub 50 gallons? That with water is 450lbs... what about a full bookcase? Or a water bed? Ugh this sucks it would be so perfect to have it up there. Plenty of room and out of the way.

Anyone else have any other experience or advice with this? I of course will post whatever I find out from my other emails.

Thanks all!
irondog
irondog
United States
2005/08/11, 10:46 PM
Big-E i have had my weight room on the second floor of my house several times at differant houses.Never had any problems but like some one else said don`t slam your weights down. But you are on the right track by putting the plywood down which will spread the load.

my home gym consists of a power rack and a 700lbs of olympic weights and another 400lbs of standard plus a multi-purpose bench and other odds and ends i have picked up over the years

dog

--------------
http://p200.ezboard.com/bbigbearsweighttraining
2005/08/11, 10:59 PM
Big E, I had 700+ bench,cage,etc. It wasn't in a single unit though. I can't determine the size but that machine appears to sit on 4 to 6 feet. If you mount it on 2x6's. and turn it perpendicular to the floor joists it's probably ok. Have you looked into weights a cage and a bench? My weights are spread out and my upstairs is plenty strong enough for twice the weight I have. B.A is right and wrong. The contractor idea is good but if he only charges $50 you don't really want him.

--------------
Prayer for the day: Lord, help me to be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

Charlie
2005/08/11, 11:06 PM
2 things about what irondog said. I don't think he leaves all 700 lbs on the rack because I'm sure there are dumbells and extra bars like I have. Also the 600+ pounds concentrated on those 6 little points needs more than 3/4" plywood. Spread the load over a thicker lumber like the 2x6 I mentioned. Use'em like sled runners.

--------------
Prayer for the day: Lord, help me to be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

Charlie
irondog
irondog
United States
2005/08/12, 01:50 AM
not on the rack at all times ---but they are on a plate rack when not on use--------which charlie makes a good point you could build yourself a lifting platform.

out of 2x6`s and plywood for your free weight area

--------------
http://p200.ezboard.com/bbigbearsweighttraining
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2005/08/12, 06:46 PM
lmfao. I read that and just started laughing. I can just picture my loaded squat cage crashing through the ceiling. Fortunately, my weight room and all 2400 lbs are in the basement.
Big-E
Big-E
United States
2005/08/18, 10:58 AM
Just an update - the home inspector said to obviously place it near an outside wall and not in the middle of the room and all should be no problem. When I get it this weekend I'll see if I can use plywood or 2x6's to help distribute the weight. I rather be safe than sorry but I'm no longer worried. Thanks all!
sstump1
sstump1
United States
2005/08/18, 11:31 AM
Of course the whole thing shouldn't be a problem. If it falls through the floor just make sure it falls into your second choice location for a home gym. :laugh::laugh:

You should be good with the 2X6's to distribute it. Just make sure you're going cross the beams as well and not with them. Think you should be able to find their direction with a stud finder (no comments form the ladies)if you don't already know.