Group: I am overweight or obese

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 381, Messages: 6449

Being overweight is a common trait these days and there is not enough help out there. Find out how you can shed those pounds and improve yourself from within.

Join group

Healthy Weight Goal?

hskinner
hskinner
United States
2011/04/08, 09:43 AM
Hi, my name is Heather and I am about 165 lbs, and 5'6. That sounds really really big, I know. I have a large frame, with athletic build and so most people drop their jaw if I say I'm that large. I want to get down to 140 in 3 months. My doctor said I shouldn't go under 135, and that will be the overall goal, but for now, I just want to be under 140. I'm not huge at 165, but I do have some belly chub.
Right now, my routine at the gym is doing the elliptical for 30 minutes, weight lifting and then doing the elliptical for another 30 minutes. The machine says that I burn about 700 calories in that hour. I've been doing that for about 5 days and I think it's really fun and doable for me.
I'm also eating healthy, no fried foods, no sodas, only whole wheat carbs. I drink tons of water.
I'm also doing soccer at my high school, I am sixteen. We run a few miles during practice each day, I probably won't go to the gym everyday once practice starts up again. (I'm on spring break). But at least 3 times a week, for muscle building.
So, is losing 25 pounds in 3 months doable? Any tips for fitness? Any tips for a faster weight loss.
I'm also drinking Lipton Green Tea (brewed, tea bags) with meals, which I've heard is supposed to help. I don't really care if it helps, cause I like the caffeine and taste.
Ok, thanks guys!
idolgirl
idolgirl
United States
2012/01/11, 12:00 AM
Heather,  25 lbs in 3 months (12 weeks) is doable but you are pushing the edge of healthy weight-loss.  The accepted health loss is usually stated at under two pounds a week, your goal is slightly above that. I would suggest that you adjust your 3 month goal to 145, you will likely be adding a bit of muscle as you exercise and that weighs more.  You might consider adding flexability training into the mix with something like yoga.  And, please, don't rely just on weight as a measure of success.  Take measurements of your body and a picture of yourself that shows your muscle definition (or lack of it) clearly.  Let these and how you feel be your guides too.