Group: Eating Disorders

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 33, Messages: 1316

Find the advice that you need by sharing and learning from others experiences. You're never alone.

Join group

Emotional Eating

Katumums
Katumums
United States
2007/05/27, 01:14 AM
Hi everyone, I hope my question hasn't already been covered...somewhat recently I've been eating for emotion reasons. (Boredom, depressed, etc.) I gained a significant amount of weight in a pretty short period of time and have become discouraged and disappointed with myself for not working harder to lose the weight. And so I continue the pattern of eating junk because I've lost all motivation. It's a vicious cycle...for anyone going through this (or who has in the past) I would really appreciate your input. How do you break the cycle and cope with wanting to eat for emotional reasons? Much thanks in advance!
conan_0822
conan_0822
United States
2007/05/28, 02:39 PM
You just have to make up your mind that you aren't going to do it. And if you are going to eat, then by all means, make sure you are going to eat something healthy!!
Velasca
Velasca
United States
2007/06/01, 06:00 AM
you more than likely wont change what your eating until you fix what the issue is that triggers your eating...you might be feeling helpless and food is a temporary quick fix that sedates you in a way and/or you might figure *you deserve a treat* for everything your going through...

if your just bored than find a new hobby...crossword puzzles, arts orafts, gym membership, writing.....it doesnt have to be something that incorporates exercise..but that wouldnt hurt :p

if your dealing with family/work/friends issues than seek counseling ... as i stated earlier, you wont be able to change your eating til your dealing with what the true issue is..

good luck to you..hope we can help :D

--------------
There is no such thing as a *set point*. Im only set on getting past this point :)
amyksmith76
amyksmith76
United States
2007/06/01, 10:09 AM
One trick that I found is that when I'm craving food because I'm bored or sad (not truly hungry), I'll do something to just keep myself busy for 5-10 minutes like washing dishes, running the vacuum, going through mail, etc. I have found that if I can get my mind off of it for a few minutes, the craving will pass. I have also read that cravings for anything (food, cigarettes, etc) only technically last for 2-3 minutes, so remind yourself of that, "This will pass in 3 minutes, I can handle 3 minutes!" Good luck and keep trying kat. It will get easier. :)
Katumums
Katumums
United States
2007/06/02, 02:28 PM
Thank you everyone for your advice and support. That's why I love this community. =)

Velasca, I agree, I need more to do with my time. And also, treating the problem is key. I've always had an issue where if I was feeling down I wouldn't eat (not purposely, I just wasn't hungry) or I turned to food for comfort. And I really don't want to look at food as the enemy. And thanks Amy, it's good to know just how long a craving lasts, it helps put it into perspective and not seem so daunting! And thank you Conan, everyone raised good points. Thanks again!! :)