Group: General Fitness & Exercise

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 375, Messages: 54577

Various general exercise related discussions. Find out what it takes to reach your fitness goals through daily effective exercise. With so many options we try to find out what works best.

Join group

DOMS Fever

sivysivy
sivysivy
United States
2005/05/20, 02:26 PM
Can you run fever with DOMS?
flyonthewall
flyonthewall
Canada
2005/05/20, 02:52 PM
If your feeling muscle aches and have a fever as well, I'd say you've got the flu:( Rest and drink plenty of fluids!
Hope you feel better soon!
ironmonga
ironmonga
United States
2005/05/20, 07:13 PM
Classic over training symptoms.
sivysivy
sivysivy
United States
2005/05/21, 01:13 PM
Thanks Guys
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2005/05/21, 03:12 PM
Fever is NOT a sign of overtraining, but it is a symptom of our bodies fighting off an infection.

--------------
Scales are for dead weight: We are not dead yet!
Still trying to find out how to do the Hollywood Free Press.

Ivan

Montreal Canada
ironmonga
ironmonga
United States
2005/05/21, 05:20 PM
Carivan fever and flue like symptoms are a pointer to overtraining its a well known fact. Your body is responding to trauma. Do you get twitching aswell sivysivy. A fever can be bought about by many things.
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2005/05/21, 06:37 PM
I agree with the flu like symptoms, but not the fever.

--------------
Scales are for dead weight: We are not dead yet!
Still trying to find out how to do the Hollywood Free Press.

Ivan

Montreal Canada
sbroyhill
sbroyhill
United States
2005/05/21, 06:43 PM
Fever is not a symptom of overtraining....

From Web MD

Fever is the body's normal and healthy reaction to infection and other illnesses, both minor and serious. Fevers cause the immune system to increase the production of white blood cells and other substances that help fight infection.

A fever is a high body temperature. A temperature of up to 102 °F(38.89 °C) can be helpful, because it helps the body react to an infection.

--------------
:Hard work equals great results!:
ironmonga
ironmonga
United States
2005/05/21, 07:14 PM
When overtrained the body is highly suuseptable to minor infections, glandular fever, resparitry tract infections, insomnia, lethargy, increased sweating, ect. A fever is a pointer to a person that trains and is otherwise healthy but running a fever may have one of these conditions bought on by over training. So I was not acurate in saying that a fever alone is a direct result of overtraining syndrome but it could be a pointer to one of the above that is assosiated with overtraining syndrome especialy accompanied with doms wich I interpreted as increased muscle aches wich is another symptom that can be over looked as DOMS. So 2+2 and all that. It may be way off the mark but it could be a pointer. I would not have mentioned overtraining syndrome if you just said a fever but your complaining of DOMS aswell. so Carivan and sbroyhill are correct a fever alone is not a symptom of overtraining, unless acompanied with other symptoms. If you suffer from DOMS all the time dissgard it as a symptom but if it as only recently occured it could be a pointer to overtrained muscles and a reduced imune system.
sbroyhill
sbroyhill
United States
2005/05/21, 07:43 PM
Published by Eichner ER on Infection, Immunity, and excercise....

Eichner (4) reviewed several studies dealing with over exercise and the immune system. Some showed alterations in the immune system by over exercise. Most of the data, however, were inconclusive about whether the changes that occurred in the immune system were clinically important. Also, some changes in immunity in athletes may be attributable to emotional stress.

Even if over exercise does not increase susceptibility to illness, physical activity may make people more sensitive to symptoms. Minor symptoms such as nasal congestion or a cough are likely to be noticed by a runner during a training session but may be overlooked by a sedentary person.

----
Which pretty much says that the excercise does not increase the susceptibility to infection, but may amplify the symptoms of an underlying infection that may already be present.

I have found a few studies claiming that overtraining makes the body highly susceptible to illness, but I found twice as many disproving those same studies, claiming the results were either biased or inconclusive.

Therefore it is in my belief that overtraining does not cause susceptibility to illness.

2) The original question was about running a fever with DOMS. DOMS is not necessarily due to overtraining. And to answer your question- there is no way you can get a fever with DOMS. DOMS is thought to be from microscopic tears in the muscle.

--------------
:Hard work equals great results!:
ironmonga
ironmonga
United States
2005/05/21, 08:27 PM
"DOMS is not necessarily due to overtraining."
That is a quote from your post. If you knew what you was typing (or pasting) you would know that DOMS definatly is not due to overtraing. Muscle soreness from overtraining is usually experianced within 12 hours of the workout, DOMS on the other hand is somtimes not evident for 3-4 days after the workout. That is why it is called DELAYED ONSET OF MUSCLE SORENESS.(DOMS). and the pain experianced from DOMS is different to that of just overworked muscles. People that suffer DOMS tend to do so on a regular basis, you either get it or you dont usually. If the pain is new and experianced within 12 hours of the workout it most likly is not DOMS and if asssosiated with a fever COULD be a pointer to one of the above conditions. I did not say that you get a fever with DOMS. I said you may be mistaking muscle sornes for DOMS if it is new and acompanied by a fever.
It COULD instead be a pointer to one of the conditions above.
ironmonga
ironmonga
United States
2005/05/21, 08:29 PM
Lets agree to differ anyway. hope you get well soon sivysivy.:)
sivysivy
sivysivy
United States
2005/05/21, 11:18 PM
WOW! Thanks you guys for all the information. :-)