Group: Eating Disorders

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 33, Messages: 1316

Find the advice that you need by sharing and learning from others experiences. You're never alone.

Join group

Chewing and spitting out food?

ScarletMoon
ScarletMoon
United States
2008/07/14, 10:54 AM
I was just curious about this because I saw topics posted on other forums, but is chewing and spitting out food considered an eating disorder?
I get 1500 calories a day, and I don't want to spoil my diet with junk food so instead of actually eating sweets, I take them and chew and spit them out, so I get the taste and not the calories. Is this bad? I wouldn't think so, but I saw that people actually call this an eating disorder.
Any thoughts would be helpful, thank you so much!!!
ecle5c
ecle5c
United States
2008/07/15, 01:53 PM
It's strange, no doubt. I think that your body would still absorb some of the sugars and salts that you chew, but you're right I guess you wouldn't get as many calories since you're spitting it out.

Personally I think you'd be better off if you could learn to get over the cravings so that you don't have to do that. When people say chewing and spitting the food out is an eating disorder I think they're relating more to those that don't actually eat on top of this, but since you do I don't think it is a disorder per se.
ScarletMoon
ScarletMoon
United States
2008/07/16, 11:12 AM
You're definetely right. Chewing and Spitting creates a LOT of cravings for sweets, and then I end up bingeing on them later, which ultimately does me no good. Good old self control is the way to go. I also agree with you about the ED part, I only think it begins to be a problem if I don't eat. I've already decided to stop this strange behavior, and go with just normal calorie counting.
Thank you for replying, btw!!
Philia2
Philia2
France
2008/07/29, 07:53 PM
You know, Scarlet, often women eat too little and that's actually why they are tired and can't lose weight.
My competition diet is around 2400Kcal/daily. If you train a lot you need to fuel the body. Without the needed fuel, you'll have no muscle gain, no loss of fat or energy. Give yourself the occasional pleasure (and freedom) of allowing yourself to eat that chocolate bar, ice cream, slice of pizza or whatever you want to, and try this; stay on your "normal" diet (if you feel good with 1500Kcal then continue that) and every time you eat more, you'll simply go out for one more morning run or any other physical activity.

Balance things and you'll feel so much better physically and emotionally. In my experience bingeing only happens when we restrict ourselves too much. :)

--------------
- Nina -Les Victoires éternelles sont celles du coeur. New website: https://nina.courtyardmarket.com
www.free2bmore.com
sugarwater
sugarwater
United States
2010/04/19, 01:23 PM
how can you chew for and not swollow it ??? just asking like how many chews befor you spit it out ??? some foods are soft and just slide down ...like cake and most sweets ...if you dont mind me asking not to be rude ...well hope all is well ..good luck :)

--------------
Lots of love and sugarwater.
2017/04/12, 07:07 PM
I engaged in that behavior a lot when I was more active om my eating disorder.  With that said there are times at current where I do partake in the behavior, and the food of choice seems to always be sweats/chips (or other deep fried food).   I would say thatit is a disorder if it is interfering with everyday activites (just like how bulimia or anorexia interfers with day to day task/living)  Best route would be to talk to a therapist to help curb the behavior but, that is my opinion.  I greatful that I have gotten help for bulimia, although still with me, it has been greatly reduced in my life