Group: Health & Fitness over 40

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 206, Messages: 2480

Group dedicated to men and women over the age of 40 that care about their health and want to take the fitness and nutrition down the right path.

Join group

Anyone over 40???

resultset_first resultset_previous 1 2 3 4 of 4 pages resultset_next resultset_last
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2003/01/02, 12:41 PM
Glad to hear it NebraskaBarnes. When I first made this post, noone was ever putting anything into this forum. Glad I made it. Glad to see all the "young" men like us still hard it! Congrats to all!!

--------------
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary!
hangclaw
hangclaw
United States
2003/01/02, 09:18 PM
This thread is still running since October bb1. Amazing! Happy New Year everyone! For me this is a time to reflect on the things I could have accomplished this past year, but didn't for whatever reason. I am not down on myself, I use this as motivation for the next year. At "our age", every second is precious. I plan on doing my best to use every one to the fullest potential. Here's to a new year full of opportunities to achieve our goals!
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2003/01/02, 10:42 PM
Good attitude hangclaw. Go for it. We are all here for the same reason!! Good Lifestyle! Healthy & fit.

--------------
The trouble with jogging is that, by the time you realize you are not in shape for it, it is too far to walk back! Franklin P. Jones

Ivan Montreal Canada
rsquade
rsquade
United States
2003/01/07, 02:45 PM
I'm 46, in the best shape of my life. 4 years ago, I was 196 pounds and getting fatter (25% bf). I changed jobs, saw my doctor for a physical, joined a gym - it was cheaper than getting new suits for the new job. In 6 months I was 165 lbs. I'm now at 184 lbs, about 10% bf - so you can add muscle after 40. My daily workouts help bring my mind into focus - I do my best work, mentally, as I work out.

--------------
rs-ny
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2003/01/07, 06:46 PM
Boy, if that isn't one of the more positive responses and attitudes I have ever heard! If you aren't an advertisement for getting in shape, nothing is! Great job...keep up the good work.

--------------
RichMiller
RichMiller
United States
2003/01/08, 11:48 PM
Like rsquade, I'm also 46 . . . was totally out of shape and pushing 300 lbs. Similarly I also went to the doctor because of health issues and learned I was diabetic (Type 2). The message my doctor gave me was clear . . . get rid of the weight or there will be severe consequences.

I listened! It took hard work, discipline, and a lot of sweat, but I'm now down to 175 lbs.! I picked up cycling, am preparing for the L.A. Marathon, and weightlifting!

My hat off to rsquade, however! He didn't need diabetes to rear it's ugly head to get him into shape! CONGRATS, rsquade!
Deby
Deby
United States
2003/01/16, 04:29 PM
I am DEFINITELY OVER 40, I am 55 and just started working out at a gym 2 weeks ago. So I am still a newbie to all of this.

--------------
Gramma
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2003/01/16, 05:31 PM
Hey... good stuff. Welcome to Richmiller and Deby! Enjoy the adventure.
Btw Rich I cycle in Montreal and the Laurentien Mts.
Good Luck in the LA marathon, how many kilometers is it?

--------------
The trouble with jogging is that, by the time you realize you are not in shape for it, it is too far to walk back! Franklin P. Jones

Ivan Montreal Canada
steve2
steve2
Canada
2003/01/17, 07:58 AM
I'm 48 years young and have been working out for a number of years.Working out for me has been a wonderful experience. It is a great motivator, energizer and confidence builder. Hey and what about the bod. I also do
my workouts from a wheelchair. Lots of luck in the future
and DON'T give up!!!!
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2003/01/17, 12:54 PM
Hey steve2...you are a wheelchair bodybuilder?? You guys are awesome. When I do a contest with wheelchair competitors having a class, it is just awesome. The last one I did, when the wheelchair class came backstage from their round, you should have heard the applause we gave them backstage. The had to have heard it out front! So many congratualtions on your efforts accomplishments. In fact I use you guys to try and motivate others, saying if they can do it, there is no reason a regular healthy individual can't. Three cheers for you!!~

--------------
sandysford
sandysford
United States
2003/01/17, 02:06 PM
I second that cheer to Steve, you go buddy!!!!!!

--------------
I will lift my own weight someday!!!!!
steve2
steve2
Canada
2003/01/17, 02:22 PM
Thanks for the encouragement folks! It's all just a state of mind.
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2003/01/17, 03:51 PM
Way to go STEVE!!!!!!!!1

--------------

Ivan Montreal Canada
steve2
steve2
Canada
2003/01/17, 04:46 PM
Hey.... carivan I can still use a staionary bike and and they can wire me to a Techno treadmill so I can walk rael slow.(hold on tight haha) Always remember, where this is a will there is always a way believe me!
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2003/01/17, 06:29 PM
You know Steve, your a real inspiration .

--------------

Ivan Montreal Canada
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2003/01/17, 06:58 PM
Yes he is...we are lucky to have him at FT! I can't give enough high 5's and kudo's to him!

--------------
steve2
steve2
Canada
2003/01/18, 01:33 PM
Guys your gonna make me blush!!! I like to do it so others can see that life goes on and there are worse things in life than a wheelchair. I just consider myself short,haha.
sandysford
sandysford
United States
2003/01/18, 04:57 PM
inspiration means so much, what a cool short guy you are

--------------
I will lift my own weight someday!!!!!
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2003/01/18, 05:52 PM
Steve ...where in Canada are you?

--------------

Ivan Montreal Canada
steve2
steve2
Canada
2003/01/18, 06:55 PM
I live in Halifax Nova Scotia.
hangclaw
hangclaw
United States
2003/01/19, 08:12 PM
Man, you are awesome, Steve. You make me forget all about the little aches and pains. You go, man!!!
steve2
steve2
Canada
2003/01/21, 09:07 AM
Thanks hangclaw but I am no different than the rest of you.
I feel eveyone, at some stage in life has a cross of their own to bear. Mine is a wheelchair and believe me I am as fit and happy as the rest of you; except for that lottery win.
red_lady54
red_lady54
United States
2003/02/12, 11:14 PM
Hi!

Yes, I am 48 soon to be 49 in three days..woohoo! Used to really work out about 6yrs ago. Quit my job at that time and became a stay at home mom and sedentary. Felt it was time to get off my tuff and do something about my weight and improve my health. I want to be in better shape before my 50th birthdate and stay that way for life this time!

It won't be easy, but great things never do come easy.

--------------
Life is short....pray hard!
Pamela
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2003/02/12, 11:18 PM
Great attitude red_lady. You will do just fine and accomplish your "mission" with that kind of attitude. Welcome from all us "old" folks! LOL.....

--------------
Failing to plan is like planning to fail!
jacksprat
jacksprat
United States
2003/02/13, 08:26 PM

============
Quoting from bb1fit:

It would really be a no post area with an over 50 chat!! :>} Keep having a great time and working out. I personally don't feel any different at 50 than I did at 40! I am still healthy and having a great time. I love this stuff. The health benefits are by far and away the number one thing.

=============
I'm over 40, over 50, over 60. Started with FT in October. Working out is the greatest thing since sliced bread. This may be the wrong place to post this question, but has anyone used tanning pills? Do they work? Will they turn my skin orange? Are these the same kind of pills the guy used who wrote, "Black Like Me"?
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2003/02/13, 09:13 PM
Awsome ...nice to have you with us. Sorry I can't answer that one, but I'm sure someone else will.
Welcome to freetrainers.

--------------
Nothing is too small to know, and nothing is too big to attempt!

Ivan Montreal Canada
jolama1
jolama1
United States
2004/02/21, 02:27 AM
Hey evrybody Iam 40 and just came to this site cuz i dont want to shrivel up and die. I Have been on thyroid meds for yrs (.175) and need help with motivation and diet etc. thnaks.
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2004/02/21, 10:58 AM
jacksprat, I have never heard anything good about these pills. I have never personally used them, but have also heard nothing but negatives from folks on them. And by the way, wonderful to have you with us! :dumbbell:

Jolamal1, glad to have you with us too, and you will not shrivel up and die! Just your being here is a step in the right drirection, shows you have goals in life and we will be glad to help you on your journey. Please jump right in with your questions and concerns.:big_smile:

--------------
If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything....
crackerjack
crackerjack
United Kingdom
2004/02/21, 11:21 AM
coming in late to the conversation but here nonetheless!

I've been 'messing around' with weights and my eating for a year nearly, but not doing enough apparently, or doing something 'wrong' cuz I"m not seeing much progress, though I do feel muscles under the *cough* padding, I can't really see the results. And I'm TIRED of it. I think I"m finally ready to stop messing around and get serious..or at least more serious. Admit what I've been doing is not working and do something else.

I hate how I look and feel. It wasn't all that long ago that i looked good. Very good - and I had a strong, flexible body. then I had a baby at 41 and got all padded and mom-sy. I know I can't get all of it back - but I want all I can get!

I'm not sure how serious I will get. When I conquer one step, I'll look at the next one. It's the only way for me. As long as it's going in the right direction.

I do a lot of lurking here, but I feel silly asking the questions I need answers to. I read and read what the other posts say, looking way back in the archives sometimes, but sometimes I want to 'hear' someone say it to *me* and not say 'well, it's been answered before, just do a search' or worse yet 'you HAVE to do THIS or else you'll never get anywhere'. Which is why I asked the other day if there were others who wanted to email. I think I'm more likely to be brutally honest - which is the only way I can determine what I need to change - and more likely to ask my 'silly' questions.

yeah, i'm all for doing whatever 'this' is -- usually -- but sometimes I have to do sometehing else first or kinda sneak up on whatever 'this' is. THat doesn't mean I'm not serious, I am. I"ve already got my new swimsuit picked out :). And I don't want my family to mutiny and I want to drag them along with me without them even knowing it :)

Those of you who said you'd be willing to help me out have given me a lot of hope that i'll finally be able to figure out what changes I need to me and work through whatever is holding me back.

CJ

PS..I said this before and it's still true Sandysford is still my hero :)

Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2004/02/21, 02:58 PM
Hi CJ and glad Sandy is your hero! :big_smile:

Don't feel that you should get those type of replies. I know some of the members do reply that way, but if I can help, I will.
It's very hard to learn something with terminology and jargon quickly.
If you practice what you want to do, and hang around others that are into the same lifestyle, like here on ft, you will do well. You don't have to lurk around, be part of us.
We are all here for the same reasons.:love:

--------------
"A will finds a way"
Ivan Montreal Canada
dellafalls
dellafalls
Canada
2004/02/23, 11:06 AM
Hi, I'm 43, and love this age, kids are growen up!!!! Out of the house, can work out when I want food stays in the fridge. I feel like I am reliving my youth!!!!!!!!
techwench
techwench
United States
2004/03/14, 05:06 PM
you should try working in IT where anyone over 30 is considered a fossil! just went on an interview where the interviewers were definitely from "the breakfast club"

anyway, i am having a hard time losing those last 10 lbs. i have no idea what my body fat percentage is; other than dipping in a water tank, is there an easier way to find this info out?

============
Quoting from Tinaraye:

dpking44
43 is not old, especially because your working out. Now if you sat on your butt and became a couch potato I could see how a person might feel old.Burn that couch! lol

=============
starbell
starbell
Canada
2004/03/15, 04:45 PM
Started with ft when I was 42,now reaching 44, so 2 years. My kids are all gone, and I'm pretty active outside the home, teaching martial arts classes, visiting, in between my workouts. Have been resting this last couple months due to an injury. But back at it. :big_smile:
approbatis
approbatis
United Kingdom
2004/05/19, 06:03 PM
hi every one
i read all these postings i thought i was ready for the old bone yard (haha)
i am now more determind to loose weight thanks to you guys on here
i feel i now should get my butt more motavated
also my youngest daughter gets married next august and i want to look good not only for me but for her also
i ride my pony 7 days a week started taking my dogs back to obedience classes which are not only demanding on my dogs but also on me as on the move for a hour a class
i ride for 1/2hr each day as schooling my pony so this will increase as mine and his fitness level increase
our local baths just 400yrds away from where i live have an early bird swim class for 3 hrs adults only and a gym i am frightened about what peeps will think when i start to go as dont look pretty in a swim suit at moment
so i am going to join on monday as i want to be slim again i get so deprest at my weight as i'm sure every one here knows the feeling
what did it for my weight gain was not choccy or bickies ect but currys kerbabs
3 ceasarians two steralizations and an egg topic pregnancy all before 28
sorry about the life story not making exscuces but i let myself go with depression and panic attacks
so this was a case of i cant get out through fear so it doesn't matter how i look wrong!
now i have over come all of this and back in the big wide world it does matter and
so i would like to thank you guys for inspiring me and making me realise hey i'm a live 43 and still have years ahead
so here starts the reat of my active life style thanks guys
will keep u posted
sorry this post is so long any one who can cheer me along would be a BIG HELP cheers again guys you all sound fantastic and looki great
Woodie
Woodie
United States
2004/05/20, 10:27 AM
Over forty. yes I do forget how old I am at times and but it's not from age but from playing with my kids and Grandkids. being over forty is not bad. My dad is in his late eighties and is still going strong though I don't like driving in the same state as him:big_smile:.

--------------
Woodie.
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2004/05/20, 10:53 AM
Welcome approbatis....you are not yet ready for the boneyard, you are just now entering the glory days!!

Congratulations on your decision to improve your health. You have made a giant step. We will be happy to aid and assist you in achieving your goals.

Glad to have you with us!:big_smile:

============
Quoting from approbatis:

hi every one
i read all these postings i thought i was ready for the old bone yard (haha)
i am now more determind to loose weight thanks to you guys on here
i feel i now should get my butt more motavated
also my youngest daughter gets married next august and i want to look good not only for me but for her also
i ride my pony 7 days a week started taking my dogs back to obedience classes which are not only demanding on my dogs but also on me as on the move for a hour a class
i ride for 1/2hr each day as schooling my pony so this will increase as mine and his fitness level increase
our local baths just 400yrds away from where i live have an early bird swim class for 3 hrs adults only and a gym i am frightened about what peeps will think when i start to go as dont look pretty in a swim suit at moment
so i am going to join on monday as i want to be slim again i get so deprest at my weight as i'm sure every one here knows the feeling
what did it for my weight gain was not choccy or bickies ect but currys kerbabs
3 ceasarians two steralizations and an egg topic pregnancy all before 28
sorry about the life story not making exscuces but i let myself go with depression and panic attacks
so this was a case of i cant get out through fear so it doesn't matter how i look wrong!
now i have over come all of this and back in the big wide world it does matter and
so i would like to thank you guys for inspiring me and making me realise hey i'm a live 43 and still have years ahead
so here starts the reat of my active life style thanks guys
will keep u posted
sorry this post is so long any one who can cheer me along would be a BIG HELP cheers again guys you all sound fantastic and looki great

=============

--------------

bb1fit@freetrainers.com
mmacrn1
mmacrn1
United States
2005/04/17, 04:15 PM
I am 43 male and on my way to being back in Marine Corps shape. I have lost 12 lbs in less than a month and refuse to give up. Thanks to all of you for the new source of inspiration...SF D or D:big_smile:
jane55
jane55
Canada
2005/04/27, 12:17 PM
Jane55 here, born in 1955 that is....I am very overweight and just had 2 total hip transplants....I am a fooler though, I have been graced with..Your 50? LOL......Yuppers..But for the last 5 years of my life has been hell. I just kept saying...once I can walk again....I will fight like a buggar to get back into shape.....well here Iam....and I am as lost as sheep......I have a recumbance bike and a bench but I have to be very careful. I never want to go down that road again....anyone have any good ideas? I am up for anything..I lost 75 lbs once by walking 4 miles a day and eating right, so I am not new to the game. I want it back......the good feeling...you know what I mean.....anyone?:)
kqstdcj963
kqstdcj963
United States
2005/05/20, 02:23 PM
I'm 40 but will be 41 June 5th! Although I'm thinking about stopping at 40. Not stop working out, I mean stop getting older!(LOL):laugh: I used to work out in the past. I stopped after a car accident left me with a hurt back & neck. I blew up from a 180lbs to 255lbs. I was one big fat slob, considering I'm 5'7. I got high blood preasure,super high cholesterol, I was sweaty and tired ALL the time. Finally I had ENOUGH ! Now I'm determined to get off the BP med and the cholesterol meds. I currently weigh 205lbs as of this morning, and I'm starting to see the familiar face in the mirror once again! Also my cloths actually fit, in fact I need to buy a smaller size pants now for the 2nd time. I have to tell you I feel sooooo much better physically and mentally. I was stuck at 210lbs until I joined this site 2 weeks ago, now like I said I'm down to 205lbs and dropping.
Now that I'm lifting again 4 days a week, cardio 5 days a week, and I could not have done it with out the help and support of ALL the GREAT people on this site!! A BIG THANKS to ALL !!!

-DAVE

--------------
\" Out of suffering is born strength; Only through pain and deprivation does a human heart become as strong as steel.\"
kqstdcj963
kqstdcj963
United States
2005/05/20, 02:34 PM
techwench,
I'm 40 and work in IT !! some people here are older than me !

-Dave:big_smile:

--------------
\" Out of suffering is born strength; Only through pain and deprivation does a human heart become as strong as steel.\"
perkowm
perkowm
United States
2005/05/22, 02:37 AM
I'm 50 and working, working, working...:laugh:
KATL
KATL
Canada
2005/06/16, 09:53 PM
Hi I am 43. I had been working out at a club for two years then lost my motivation to go there because I had no one to really hang out with to keep me motivated. Most of the members joined in work groups so had their own little clicks. So I started working out at home. At the club I have went from no arm muscle to a little arm muscle which is great for lifting at work. But my problem is that after I work out I crave sugar type foods, cheese, or bread and when I am upset I eat those same things. Any ideas on how I can stop these cravings?
flyonthewall
flyonthewall
Canada
2005/06/17, 09:28 AM
Welcome to FT KATL. I would suggest you research some of the nutritional and exercise threads on this site. You might even want to fill out a nutrition profile and start one of the FT programs, I found it good motivation just to try something new. I actually enjoy working out in the gym on my own cause it's a great to really focus on working out hard and listing to music on my MP3 player. As far as your sugar cravings, try eating 5-6 small meals/ day and make sure you're getting a good mix of protien / carbs and fats (again fill out a nutr. profile to find out what you need). After a workout I always have a protien smoothie I buy at my gym, it gives me the protien I need along with a good sweet fix I crave.

There's tons of useful info on this site, so peruse away and ask any questions you may have. There is also a great search tool called fitbuddy at the bottom of every page.

--------------
Even if you are on the right track, you will get run over if you just sit there.
flyonthewall
flyonthewall
Canada
2005/06/28, 08:15 AM
No problem KATL. Good luck with the exercising and enjoy the summer! If you have any questions feel free to send me an instant message thru FT.
susannafisher
susannafisher
United States
2005/10/05, 12:51 PM
Hello

I am new to the program and from what i have read here I am very excited to get started again. I am a law student who spends a majority of my time sitting doing research and very long term papers so haven't had the time or motivation to get up and move it!! I have however just started up on my two mile walks again. Did the first one last evening lol. I have all sorts of exercise euipment but just cannot get motivated let alone stay on a schedule. I am 45 years old and would love to get back in shape as well as work on a healthier lifestyle physically and mentally. I eat like a typical college student and get so wrapped up in my studies I even forget to take my vitamins. My children are grown and gone and my husband is an over the road trucker so I am basically here out in the country alone. HELP!!! I need motivation and support lol. It's great to meet all of you and I look forward to your insight and stories of your success. :)
susannafisher
susannafisher
United States
2005/10/05, 12:55 PM
Hello

I am new to the program and from what i have read here I am very excited to get started again. I am a law student who spends a majority of my time sitting doing research and very long term papers so haven't had the time or motivation to get up and move it!! I have however just started up on my two mile walks again. Did the first one last evening lol. I have all sorts of exercise euipment but just cannot get motivated let alone stay on a schedule. I am 45 years old and would love to get back in shape as well as work on a healthier lifestyle physically and mentally. I eat like a typical college student and get so wrapped up in my studies I even forget to take my vitamins. My children are grown and gone and my husband is an over the road trucker so I am basically here out in the country alone. HELP!!! I need motivation and support lol. It's great to meet all of you and I look forward to your insight and stories of your success.
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2005/10/05, 01:33 PM
Welcome susannafisher. Glad to have you with us. Congrats on your new found passion for health. Lots of us here to help and assist you on reaching your goals.

--------------

bb1fit@freetrainers.com
dona6
dona6
United States
2006/08/07, 09:11 PM
I am 44 and I started walking 6 days a week for 40 min. with a friend 5 weeks ago.I walk a medium pace and I take 1 5lb with me. My friend just left and my husband has started walking with me. I am glad that he is trying to get healthy. My problem is that we only walk 20 min and at a slow pace. i can't seem to get motivated to go out again.any suggestions on how to better my workout? We are traveling and I do not have my car with me. Right know the weather is great, next month who knows.
LikeAWhale
LikeAWhale
United States
2006/11/12, 11:36 AM
Hi, I'm new to this site. Looks pretty good so far. I just hit 40 in October. Dating a 25 yr old girl and need to keep up. I've always worked out with breaks due to injury or famiy life. I started again 6 mths ago and lost 23 lbs (216lb 6mths ago). I'm 5'11" and don't mind being @ 200lbs (as long as it's muscle). Trying to get solid abs and increase muscle mass. I start my workouts with 20 mins of cardio follow by my wt routine. I often end with another 20 mins of cardio. Work out my abs 2x weekly. Ususally 1st before moving on to my wt routine. That's it for now. I have to go.
LikeAWhale
LikeAWhale
United States
2006/11/12, 11:36 AM
Hi, I'm new to this site. Looks pretty good so far. I just hit 40 in October. Dating a 25 yr old girl and need to keep up. I've always worked out with breaks due to injury or famiy life. I started again 6 mths ago and lost 23 lbs (216lb 6mths ago). I'm 5'11" and don't mind being @ 200lbs (as long as it's muscle). Trying to get solid abs and increase muscle mass. I start my workouts with 20 mins of cardio follow by my wt routine. I often end with another 20 mins of cardio. Work out my abs 2x weekly. Ususally 1st before moving on to my wt routine. That's it for now. I have to go.
resultset_first resultset_previous 1 2 3 4 of 4 pages resultset_next resultset_last