Group: Health & Fitness over 40

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 197, Messages: 2480

Group dedicated to men and women over the age of 40 that care about their health and want to take the fitness and nutrition down the right path.

Join group

50+

resultset_first resultset_previous 1 2 of 2 pages
susanlay
susanlay
United States
2010/08/14, 10:13 AM
51 yr old mom here with stenosis of the lumbar caused by arthritis. Oh what we do to our bodies huh.I have been taking care of my body since I was in my early 20's. Unfortunately working manual labor jobs have really done a job on my back. They tell me I have the arthritis of a 70 yr old and decimated disc. Sounds aweful but.... they also tell me if I had not worked out all my adult life I would not be able to move now.

My execise of choice has always been body weight because of being a working mom on limited income. I walk every day that my back allows. A family friend gave me a dog so now I walk even when I am hurting, just not as far.. because the dog needs her walk. Sometimes, following rigid plans you will get very bored but there is no reason you can not mix it up a bit. Do a search on the net, find new exercises to try out. You will always be challanging yourself, just remember to listen to your body. I have to modify pushups now, something I did not have to do 2 years ago, but that is not the point. The point is, I am still moving, and I can!

I love Freetrainers.com, the nutritional analyzer has became my new buddy lately. I top off the fat way too fast, its a challange to get all those calories in with only 22g of fat...lol

Good luck and heres to getting stronger everyday!!

Susan
rsquade
rsquade
United States
2016/08/01, 03:56 PM
Just turned 60. Work out 5 days a week for past 13 years. Do yoga, too. I think I'm as strong as ever, but it does take longer to recover when I push hard.
Wayfairers
Wayfairers
United States
2017/07/14, 04:35 PM
I'm 51 and have gained more weight than I want over the years. I have been working out and eating right to lose about 2 pounds a month since March. I plan to continue at about that pace until I reach a weight where I am happy with my body - probably a total of 20 pounds - but who knows. I am going slowly on the weight loss this time because last time I used Atkins and dropped weight quickly but struggled to maintain when I started eating carbs again. The goal is to be able to maintain my new weight once I get there. I have found that weighing every day and putting it into my Fitbit app, then monitoring the weekly average rather than paying attention to the daily weight works for me. I joined Freetrainers to get workout accountability by using the log and to read what others are doing to lose/maintain weight.
resultset_first resultset_previous 1 2 of 2 pages