Group: Running

Created: 2012/01/02, Members: 197, Messages: 67

Everything and all you need to know about beginning, training, eating, injury rehabilitation for running.

Join group

A Runner's Diet...What You Need To Eat

Ravenbeauty
Ravenbeauty
United States
2012/03/29, 02:38 PM
With every type of sport, there are different diets to help you perform to your best of ability.  For runners, diet is very important to your performance, whether you are running for time or endurance (longevity).  Your before/after training and pre/post racing meals are essential to keeping you not only on track with your running goals, but injury free during them as well.  I just recently started a book called Run your Butt Off.  It reminded me of way back when I used to race in 2007 of how strict I was on my dieting..and also remembering all the pluses to a runners diet that you usually won't find in a regular, weightloss, building muscle mass or even a cutting diet.  So take advantage of this, learn what to eat and when.  Below is a list of foods that should always be on a runners diet as well as some examples of pre/post race day and training diets.

Runner's Food List:

Proteins/Dairy - Although runners do need protein, they don't need to have excessive amounts.. eating 15% of you daily diet of proteins works well.

Tofu
Soy 
Salmon
Lean Chicken & Turkey
Shrimp
Eggs
Lentils
Beans
Almonds
Walnuts
Peanuts
Peanut Butter
Cottage Cheese
Milk

Carbohydrates - The Key To Pre Race Day Success.  Most runners pack up on carbs for their meals the day before a race.

Whole Wheat Pasta
Steamed Brown Rice
White Rice
Bagels
Regular Pasta
Pumpernickel & Dark Rye Breads
Sweet Potatoes
Oatmeal
Energy Bars Cliff bars are excellent)

Green Veggies -  Green veggies are high in potassium and a great source to avoid muscle cramping. Others are high in fiber

Broccoli
Baby Carrots
Cauliflower
Asparagus 
Zucchinis
Olives
Dark Leaf Lettuces

Fruits/Snacks -  Fruits are high in vitamin c and potassium to help again in muscle contraction, while snacks give energy after workouts.

Bananas
Oranges
Strawberries
Cantaloupe
Grapefruit
Grapes
Raisins
Prunes
Avocados
Trail Mixes
Nuts
Rice Crackers
Baked Potatoes
Dried Fruits
Yogurt
Sports Drinks (Powerade, Gatorade, or SmartWater with electrolytes)

Pre-Workout/Race Foods:
Pasta
Rice
Bagels w/peanut butter
Zucchini
Tomatoes
Olives
Grapes
Grapefruit

Post-Workout Foods:
Yogurts
Fruit Smoothies