Group: Specific Diets & Nutrition

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 104, Messages: 22773

With so many diets and nutritional plans out there, you can get lost. Find out what works best for others and share your experiences!

Join group

Coffee VS. Diet Coke?

Olibobwa
Olibobwa
United States
2008/05/09, 04:49 PM
What?s the deal with coffee? For the last few months I?ve been drinking diet cokes and such but have decided to kick the habit because of aspartame and also the possibility of insulin responses. Today I made my first batch of coffee. I only drink it black. This stuff is great I?m wired. I?ve googled and fitBuddied it but found everyone has an opinion and none are the same. What are the pro?s and con?s of Coffee vs. Diet coke?s(Soda) In the South the word coke, for some reason, has evolved into meaning any kind of soda.
SFGiantsMVP
SFGiantsMVP
United States
2008/05/09, 05:22 PM
I drink both and don't give a crap!

I just don't drink both as a means but 1 Diet Soda day and 1 Cup of Coffee isn't going to kill anyone!

As for Aspartame, I love it and it's what I use as a sweetener in my home plus it's the safest and most widely researched of all the sweetener!

The sweetener I use is a mix of Dextrose, Maldodextrin and Aspartame .

Aspartame is composed of two amino acids, aspartic acid and phenylalanine, as the methyl ester. Amino acids are the building blocks of protein. Aspartic acid and phenylalanine are also found naturally in protein containing foods, including meats, grains and dairy products. Methyl esters are also found naturally in many foods, such as fruits and vegetables and their juices.

--------------
Knock-Um Down & Keep-Um Down!
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2008/05/09, 06:17 PM
Pick coffee over diet coke any day for 'health' reasons. Other than this, if this is your 'vice', by all means indulge how you like. Diet coke will not kill you, and if it curbs the urge for much higher calorie intake or just plain crap in other words, then it is well worth it.

--------------
Baseball is the only field of endeavor where a man can succeed three times out of ten and be considered a good performer

ecle5c
ecle5c
United States
2008/05/10, 12:17 PM
I read somewhere that up to 5 cups of coffee in a day "can" be beneficial to your health.

How bad is coffee really in the 6-8 cup range per day? Not actual mugs, but measuring cups. Usually 3-4 mugs per day.
Olibobwa
Olibobwa
United States
2008/05/14, 12:59 AM
Sorry if it looks like I?ve neglected this thread but Sunday morning about 6:45am I woke up to the sound of a tornado in the front yard(not cool) and we Just got power back this morning and internet back tonight. Anyways no power means no coffee pot so I haven?t had any caffeine since Saturday.

I started drinking diet cokes back in January when last semester started because they helped me stay alert. Since then I?ve found that caffeine makes the weights lighter and the laps shorter, but most of all it helps bring me out of the coma that low carb can induce.

That?s where I was heading with the original post. Is caffeine a useful tool for cutting and if it is which is the better of the two coffee or diet coke.
SFGiantsMVP
SFGiantsMVP
United States
2008/05/14, 11:14 AM
Tea would be better then both as Green being more on the Healthy side and Darker being more on the caffeine side.

A dark tea will have allot more caffeine in it then a coffee or coke!

--------------
Olibobwa
Olibobwa
United States
2008/05/16, 10:42 PM

Thank's SF I'll try that out
============
Quoting from SFGiantsMVP:

Tea would be better then both as Green being more on the Healthy side and Darker being more on the caffeine side.

A dark tea will have allot more caffeine in it then a coffee or coke!

=============
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2008/05/16, 11:45 PM
Might want to give white tea a go. Very tasty, a bit sweeter, not as much of a 'grassy' taste so to speak. Add some cinnamon and honey, great stuff. The cinnamon is wonderful for blood sugars too. One study for instance showed lower levels of fasting glucose, triglycerides, LDL cholesterol and total cholesterol after 40 days. So, you get a one two nutrition punch.

--------------
Baseball is the only field of endeavor where a man can succeed three times out of ten and be considered a good performer

SFGiantsMVP
SFGiantsMVP
United States
2008/05/16, 11:55 PM
Yeah, I at times make my Iced Tea with cinnamon in it, even my kids love it!

White Tea is Great and by the way I learned all this tea stuff from BB1fit so the thanks should go to him nit me!

--------------
SFGiantsMVP
SFGiantsMVP
United States
2008/05/16, 11:57 PM
I always add honey to my Ice Tea but you have to add it in after you boil it and go with Whole Leaf Bulk Teas, another tip BB1fit taught me!

--------------
edk1961
edk1961
United States
2008/08/20, 10:36 PM
Kelly_jo,
Kinda funny to me also. I moved to the south from Detroit, Mi In the late 70's. My first job here was In a fast food joint, everyone ordered "coke's" even orange coke... It took me quite a while to understand "coke" meant soda... Just the difference in location and lingo. "Laughing"....
edk1961
edk1961
United States
2008/08/20, 10:34 PM
Kelly_jo,
Kinda funny to me also. I moved to the south from Detroit, Mi In the late 70's. My first job here was In a fast food joint, everyone ordered "coke's" even orange coke... It took me quite a while to understand "coke" meant soda... Just the difference in location and lingo. "Laughing"....
kelley_jo
kelley_jo
United States
2008/08/20, 12:18 PM
So I know this thread is several months old but Olibobwa got my attention with the "coke's." I am from the mid west but my boyfriend grew up in Houston TX and refers to pop/soda as coke. I thought it was odd at first but since have grown to it and when he askes if I want a coke my reply is "sure what kind do you have", knowing hes refering to soda in general! Just made me chuckel a little when I read it. Sorry, totaly off subject here.