Group: Beginners to Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 968, Messages: 18927

Share and offer advice to beginners to the fitness world!

Join group

Rest Days and workout schedule?

Emotions_1988
Emotions_1988
Brazil
2005/02/07, 10:08 PM
How many days should I workout in a week? Also when someone says a rest day are they talking about a day where I do not do cardio or weight training or a rest day for a certain muscle group (say not working out legs much)? I just seem to be having a problem setting up a schedule that will help me get into better shape that goes with my school workout. What I am doing now is:

Monday - Weight Training (bench and incline + auxiliaries)
w/ abs
Tuesday - Weight Training (Squat and Powerclean +
auxiliaries)
Wednesday - HIIT (Jogging 30 sec, sprinting 30, etc. until
4 minutes and every week adding a 30 second jog
and a 30 second sprint) w/ abs
Thursday -
Emotions_1988
Emotions_1988
Brazil
2005/02/07, 10:12 PM
Accidently hit enter when I changed my title. Sorry wish they had an edit button but oh well will continue here.

Thursday - Weight Training (Like monday with different
auxiliaries)
Friday - Weight Training (Like Tuesday with different
auxiliaries) w/ abs
Saturday - HIIT
Sunday - Rest Day

Can someone tell me if that is too much, too little, just right, or what. If it is good I will do it and if not could you suggest what I should do to change it? Just to let you know the weight training is what the coaches have set up for me and it is what I have to do unless I do weight training on my own which might lead to overtraining. So please leave a suggestions. I sure could use it. Thanks.
Jac48
Jac48
United States
2005/02/07, 11:04 PM
I train 3 days a week. Most people train 3 to 4 days a week. I train every muscle once a week except abs I hit them up twice. Whatever fits your schedule. You could try a FreeTrainers work out. Training hard is good, along with eating right and plenty of rest. Your muscles grow when they are resting so don't over train.

My workour schedule right now
Mon. Chest/Biceps/abs
Tue. rest
Wen. Legs/Shoulders
Thu. rest
Fri. Back/Triceps/abs
Sat. Rest
Sun. Rest

When I do Cardio I do it on my rest days.
Sun.
xxrajxx
xxrajxx
United Kingdom
2005/02/08, 04:27 AM
good advise jac48

it will give you the split, sets, reps the whole lot

JAC that looks like my previoys split.
Raj
hopetobefit
hopetobefit
United States
2005/02/08, 08:29 PM
I know about the FT programs and all and I was doing that until I started having to workout for football. That's the real problem I have. I know it is best to split the body parts up like shoulders one day and chest on a different so you don't over work the muscle groups. But with the team football workout I don't have that option unless I want to come home and do another workout after my full workout at school. So I have to make a schedule around what I am doing there. Basically we work upper body on Mondays and Thursdays (bench, incline, bent over rows, high pulls, bicep curls, and tricep curls... I think might have gotten some mixed up).. On Tuesdays and Fridays we work lower body (squat, powerclean, calf raises, leg curls, leg extensions, other leg workouts). And on Wednesdays we rest and clean up the weight room.

I know that probably isn't the best workout I could get but it is required of me to do while I am on the team. I am just wanting to know if that will suffice and if the HIIT will burn the fat I need to lose? Keep in mind that workout I have to do.
hopetobefit
hopetobefit
United States
2005/02/08, 08:30 PM
Hopetobefit = Emotions_1988..=P
pinghuat
pinghuat
Philippines
2005/06/30, 10:05 AM
Greetings,I would just like to ask how many days would I be resting after a 4 days workout a week? how many hours? thank you very much.:)
anttwonis
anttwonis
United States
2006/08/14, 09:02 PM
i young and want a 6 pack in like 4 months is that possilbe?
please contact me
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2006/08/15, 12:13 AM
Depends on how young, and what country you are in. Is your birthday in 4 months?
In Ireland it may be possible, but since comeing to the states I have found it difficult to get a six pack.

--------------
Iron and chalk.
starrbursts
starrbursts
United States
2006/08/16, 10:44 AM
Why? Because there is less exercise and worse food here in the states? Anyway, I train five days a week:
Monday: Weightlifting
Tuesday: Cardio--eliptical HIIT
Wednesday: Weightlifint/swimming/joggin
Thursday: Cardio--eliptical HIIT
Friday: Weightlifting/swimming/joggin
Weekend: Horsebackriding!!

Is this too much? Every three weeks I'm gonna take a week off just to rest my body. iS that a good idea or bad? I just don't want to over exhaust my body in the beginning...anyway...
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2006/08/16, 10:48 AM
Dam wrestler, you beat me to that post! :big_smile:

============
Quoting from wrestler125:

Depends on how young, and what country you are in. Is your birthday in 4 months?
In Ireland it may be possible, but since comeing to the states I have found it difficult to get a six pack.

=============

--------------
Maximus from Gladiator....Strength and Honor!
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2006/08/16, 10:52 AM
That is a real danger with beginners. They get so gung ho they do too much and can't keep up, get overwhelmed when the newness wears off, and burn out and stop.

You need to be aware of your body. Are you recovering from all this just fine? Do you feel good? If not, then you need to back off. If so, just be aware that when the initial "excitement" wears off, is this going to be like job to you and you hate it? Or will it be a lifestyle change you can sustain. That is in fact the bottom line.
============
Quoting from starrbursts:

Why? Because there is less exercise and worse food here in the states? Anyway, I train five days a week:
Monday: Weightlifting
Tuesday: Cardio--eliptical HIIT
Wednesday: Weightlifint/swimming/joggin
Thursday: Cardio--eliptical HIIT
Friday: Weightlifting/swimming/joggin
Weekend: Horsebackriding!!

Is this too much? Every three weeks I'm gonna take a week off just to rest my body. iS that a good idea or bad? I just don't want to over exhaust my body in the beginning...anyway...
=============

--------------
Maximus from Gladiator....Strength and Honor!
JasonS8
JasonS8
United States
2009/01/08, 03:25 PM
I agree with you, young people do try to do way to much. The first two weeks you go back to the gym you should be doing a weight that you can get about 12 reps in and stay with that for two weeks and then move up in weight. My work out plan goes as listed below

Monday-Chest/Triceps
Tuesday-Back/Biceps
Wednesday-Cardio/Abs
Thursday-Chest/Triceps
Friday-Back/Biceps
Saturday-Rest/Cardio/Abs
Sunday-Rest/Cardio/Abs
Saturday and Sunday are interchangeable days. Whatever day you pick to go you rest the other day.

Chest and triceps are good to group together because they work the same muscles. For example when you bench you use your triceps so it makes sense to do them together.

Back and biceps work the same muscles as well. When you do your back you use your biceps so it helps build muscles in both places.

If you have any other questions just reply to this message.

============
Quoting from bb1fit:

That is a real danger with beginners. They get so gung ho they do too much and can't keep up, get overwhelmed when the newness wears off, and burn out and stop.

You need to be aware of your body. Are you recovering from all this just fine? Do you feel good? If not, then you need to back off. If so, just be aware that when the initial "excitement" wears off, is this going to be like job to you and you hate it? Or will it be a lifestyle change you can sustain. That is in fact the bottom line.

=============
2009/01/08, 04:22 PM
I have two questions and a suggestion

Where the heck did you get that routine? What about your legs and shoulders?

Scrap that routine and start over.
JasonS8
JasonS8
United States
2009/01/08, 11:35 PM
wow my fault i meant to put either Saturday or Sunday as the legs/shoulders day. Those two exercises don't have to much to do so i usually do about four to five different leg exercises and do about 3 shoulder exercises. It is a good routine to build muscle quickly.

Depending on the muscle i am working and what exercise im doing i usually go up about 5 lbs each week. This routine is used by me and many others that go to the gym I go to.

============
Quoting from KA:

I have two questions and a suggestion

Where the heck did you get that routine? What about your legs and shoulders?

Scrap that routine and start over.

=============
2009/01/09, 08:50 AM
Maybe its time to pick a new gym and others to work out with.

============
Quoting from JasonS8:

wow my fault i meant to put either Saturday or Sunday as the legs/shoulders day. Those two exercises don't have to much to do so i usually do about four to five different leg exercises and do about 3 shoulder exercises. It is a good routine to build muscle quickly.

Depending on the muscle i am working and what exercise im doing i usually go up about 5 lbs each week. This routine is used by me and many others that go to the gym I go to.

=============
beachplanet
beachplanet
United States
2009/02/25, 06:06 PM
Okay, listen up please. I am in a wheelchair. Only upperbody excercises. sunday-back, biceps and shoulders. wednesday-chest triceps and shoulders. and 4 of the other days I do armbike cardio. Is this plan flawed? Give me advise.

--------------
beachplanet rules!!!