Group: Eating Disorders

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 33, Messages: 1316

Find the advice that you need by sharing and learning from others experiences. You're never alone.

Join group

obsessive calorie counting

dnold
dnold
United States
2004/12/24, 06:44 PM
Recenly I really started watching what I am eating. I used to not care what I ate and never thought about it, now I count every calorie every day and all I think about is when I get to eat next and what I am going to have. I get very depressed and angry at myself when I fall off the wagon and eat to many calories. I am 5'11" and weight about 132 obls so I am not fat but I am so afraid of getting fat that it is getting out of control. I don't know what to do.
DaniDIEt
DaniDIEt
United States
2004/12/24, 07:35 PM
I know how you feel. Don't beat yourself up so much. Try to think of why you are getting this obsessive about calorie counting. At least you know that it is not healthy and that means alot. Please be careful.
princesslodgey
princesslodgey
United Kingdom
2004/12/25, 05:17 AM
I have been there, you have my sympathies.

I personally don't count calories every day anymore, because I just get obsessive. I do a "spot check" on my diet once a week or so to make sure I'm not straying.

I got out of the daily calorie counting by shifting the focus away from how much I weighed. I did this by setting myself a fitness goal, rather than a weight goal, and I found this really helpful.

good luck
DX14AG
DX14AG
United States
2004/12/25, 07:23 PM
I've been there too... I know exactly how you feel...I used to even have trouble sleeping at night because all I was thinking about is if I was going to get fat overnight and see myself blown up the next morning. How I stopped from being obsessive with that is I went on a mass gaining program, and that just assures me that I won't gain any fat weight. Then I started seeing results show, and I've been fine ever since. I still see results. Trust me, once you've seen and feel results, you will stop all the worries and just eat. I now just calorie estimate. I don't count calorie for calorie anymore. Goodluck

DX
gwendela
gwendela
Canada
2005/12/01, 02:44 PM
I can't stop counting I weight myself 3 times a day, I will get undressed to see the true weight, it's sick and I am afraid my kids see it...im only 95lbs 5'6 it's scary....
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2005/12/03, 02:59 PM
By calorie counting, you learned portion sizes no doubt. Don't beat yourself up, this is a good thing.

Most folks who do not do this typically overeat by underestimating their caloric intake, by as much as 50%. Then state they are eating "healthy" and cannot lose weight.

Use the visual portion size in your minds eye you have learned, and you can practically cut calorie counting out altogether.

--------------
If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything....

dnold
dnold
United States
2005/12/03, 04:09 PM
I have finally gotten to where I dont write down and keep trake of calories on paper anymore because now I have a genneral Idea of how many calories are in certain foods. I still keep a general running total in my head though and still think of what combinations of food I eat to hit my calorie amount for the day. I recently upped my daily calorie total because I was not gaining anywhere in my workouts so it is harder for me to overeat now. Got a little long winded there for a second, just needed to get that off my chest!
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2005/12/03, 05:44 PM
There is nothing obsessive about this behavior. This is more smart than anything. Folks who do not keep track of their caloric intake in some way have a propensity to overeat, thus gain weight.

Then you will see them on this board wondering why they are gaining weight or cannot lose weight.

============
Quoting from dnold:

I have finally gotten to where I dont write down and keep trake of calories on paper anymore because now I have a genneral Idea of how many calories are in certain foods. I still keep a general running total in my head though and still think of what combinations of food I eat to hit my calorie amount for the day. I recently upped my daily calorie total because I was not gaining anywhere in my workouts so it is harder for me to overeat now. Got a little long winded there for a second, just needed to get that off my chest!
=============

--------------
If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything....

erose15
erose15
United States
2007/02/27, 07:05 PM
I count my calories like crazy and I still have only lost a little weight...please help me!!!
FilthyPL3B
FilthyPL3B
United Kingdom
2007/03/07, 07:25 AM
erose15, counting calories is fine, but what you need to do is work out your daily caloric needs and work to that.
dominoannawendy
dominoannawendy
United States
2007/04/25, 06:27 PM
I have been there myself...to the point where eating made me feel sick. I was 89 pounds but am shorter. Talk to your family doctor. Don't risk your health or the future of your children, please!

============
Quoting from gwendela:

I can't stop counting I weight myself 3 times a day, I will get undressed to see the true weight, it's sick and I am afraid my kids see it...im only 95lbs 5'6 it's scary....
=============
kaylagentner
kaylagentner
United States
2007/12/31, 12:44 PM
I count every calorie too. It's weird I'll tell myself I'm not counting calories today, but by lunch time I find myself thinking back and counting them. I get angry when I go over 1200 calories. I weigh myself everyday if I don't I feel weird until I do. I lost 75 lbs and I'm scared of gaining it back. I'm 16, 165 lbs and 5'8". I exercise everyday if I don't I feel guilty and ashamed.
starvinghunger
starvinghunger
United States
2007/12/31, 05:16 PM
I know exactly how you feel and it is very dangerous. That's how my eating disorder started. I was counting every single calorie... and if I ate more than 300~400 I was horrified. I was sixteen and went from 158 pounds to 89 pounds in less than four months. You really need to get help before you get to that point. I wound up having a heart attack and everything. Please do everything you can before you do the irreversable damage to your body. Anorexia is not something you wanna deal with... trust me.

--------------
\\"I told another lie today... and I got through this day... no one saw through my games. I know the right words to say... Like I don\\'t feel well... I ate before I came. Then someone tells me how good I look... and for a moment... for a moment... I am happy.\" ~superchick
orca722
orca722
United States
2008/06/27, 08:44 PM
kaylagentner,

I feel we are in amlmost identical situations, I'm 5'7 & 175 pound, but I want to be 150-160.I have lost quite a bit of weight. And eat about 1000-1500 calories a day and exercise. I feel that same guilt, and terrified of gaining back any wait I've lost. I guess its just good to know some one out there feels the same. My friends laugh at me for counting colories and say that I don't need be on a diet, but the say that just because thy are my friends. Just one question if I burn 3500 calories a day but only eat 1000-1500 am I annorexic?

--------------
swimmer chick \"one lap at a time\"
Pensfan
Pensfan
United States
2008/06/30, 02:05 AM
to little calories ain't good ethire lets keep that in mind don't want to starve yourselves or anything. dont get carried away lose the weight the healthy way.
mserogers
mserogers
United States
2008/12/18, 02:52 PM
I am on the opposite side. I have never counted calories or looked at the portions of food. I have always just excercised more or less and was able to manage my weight. Needless to say that lead to fluctuations in my weight since my excercise was rarely consistant. Now I am trying to raise a daughter to be healty and happy and have to start learning how to count calories and have a balanced diet from scratch. Be happy you have the knowledge and can pass that ability to others.
taylorleebla
taylorleebla
United States
2010/10/25, 09:17 PM

I know where you are coming from. I used to count everything I ate- down to bites of apples and individual grapes. If I went over my limit I would go to the gym and work off the extra calories in addition to my usual 2 hours of hell on the elliptical or treadmill. EDs are serious. Also, I like your supergirl quote, I remember hearing it for the first time and being scared at how closely I could relate to it.
============
Quoting from starvinghunger:

I know exactly how you feel and it is very dangerous. That's how my eating disorder started. I was counting every single calorie... and if I ate more than 300~400 I was horrified. I was sixteen and went from 158 pounds to 89 pounds in less than four months. You really need to get help before you get to that point. I wound up having a heart attack and everything. Please do everything you can before you do the irreversable damage to your body. Anorexia is not something you wanna deal with... trust me.

=============