Group: Eating Disorders

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 33, Messages: 1316

Find the advice that you need by sharing and learning from others experiences. You're never alone.

Join group

Struggling with binge-eating disorder

angela86
angela86
United States
2004/09/06, 05:17 PM
I'm 18 and new to these boards. I was searching for a place to come for support and advice because I've struggled for the past year or so with binge-eating, or compulsive eating disorder. As everyone knows who suffers the same affliction, the disorder comes with intense feelings of guilt and depression. This weekend I really faced facts and realized that I need to get a grip and I was looking here for any advice that may be relevent to help me get my life, or my eating habits, back on track... so if you have anything to share, it would be much appreciated... thanks...
princesslodgey
princesslodgey
United Kingdom
2004/09/07, 05:59 AM
I found joining this site helped me sort out my eating.

Sign up for a workout program, and as you get stronger, you will start to respect and admire your body.

Try to eat every 3-4 hours and have protein with every meal - this will reduce the stimulus to binge eating.

If things seem bad, get on the message boards, you will find lots of support and advice here.

Welcome to FT :)

--------------
Happy in Scotland
Philia2
Philia2
France
2004/09/08, 02:53 AM
With the right training and weights you'll start to look at food differently. Not just as a pleasure (or something who can give you guilt) but more as a necessairy fuel to your body and muscles.
You'll need to work WITH the food and not take it as an enemy.
I wish you all the very best luck! :)

--------------
- Nina :o) Les Victoires éternelles sont celles du coeur.
www.nme-pro.com
neverAprincess
neverAprincess
United States
2005/04/04, 06:03 PM
We're all here to help and support you-email me anytime at all..and if I can get back to you believe me I'll do my best to do so. email is Tinkerbell428@sbcglobal.net

yeah I know, it's weird..my b/f set the account up:big_smile: Anyway-best of luck.

All my love:love:,
Ashley.
sivysivy
sivysivy
United States
2005/04/11, 01:36 AM
Like Princesslodgey said not getting hungry is key.
imolax
imolax
Canada
2005/04/12, 11:31 PM
The key to stopping a binge is to mkae sure you don't deprive yourself. There is nothing worse than the "after binge" guikt, the way you say it will never happen again. It will if you hold yourself back. Like princesslodgey said, eat regularly, and eat good food that tastes good. If you eat too leanly it will cause another binge. Go for that pasta, go for that chicken, potatoes and corn...whatever. You'd be surprised how good it is after all.

Good LUCK!
Yumi
Yumi
United States
2005/05/06, 12:20 AM
My plan to overcome binge eating problem.

1. drink water or tea when I feel slight hunger. Maybe it is my strechted out stomach and brain that wants food. When I lose to my binge eating craving, I eat until I am so uncomfortable, and I cannot even drink water. Then I don't get to drink enought water for that day. I try to get my water intake before binge eating starts.

2. chew 30 times when I put food in my mouth.
3. put down spoon, forlk, chopstick, whatever I am using to eat while I am chewing.

I've noticed that when I am on binge eating, I am constantly stuffing my mouth. chew few times and before I even finish chewing, I am already reaching for more food.

When I chew 30 times with nothing in my hands, it doesn't seem to trigger the certain thing that tells me to eat more.

I am still trying to overcome my problem. But this is working for now for me.

:love:
nikkilind
nikkilind
United States
2005/05/22, 11:19 AM
I have had problems with bullemia for nearly 10 years. The worst part was emotionally what was going on - what I was doing to myself physically was scary. The Terri Schiavo case made me seriously look out for help (did you know her coma was bullemia-induced).

The main thing to get over, I've found is to get over the emotional piece that causes you to overeat. How you're treating yourself. What emtional baggage you're avoiding by overeating. Eating several times a day will not help in my opinion/experience. It's treating yourself right.

There is a free website that absolutely helped me thru it. It's been since the end of JANUARY of this year, and I have stopped b/p. This is HUGE. But more than anything else, I am finally treating myself better. The website's steps will help you identify what is causing your binges, and for me, it has been a godsend.

I would not post this website address if it had not made such a big impact in my life over the last 4 mos. Take a look at it. It takes a whole lot of emtional work and introspection, and is painful but revealing. It was the source of my success:

www.normaleating.com

I hope it's okay to put this - again it is a profit free website with support for this psychological & emotional issue. But look inside and determine what it is you are "stuffing down", avoiding, running from. And determine to love yourself no matter what. That's the main part.
rmatt
rmatt
United States
2005/06/15, 01:00 PM
I total know where all of you are coming from. I've been struggling with B/E for awhile now and just finally got fed up enough that I told my husband about my problem last night. I thought that if I finally faced up to the shameful act that maybe it would help me over come it. In those split moments your just so powerless to food and like the other girl said the guilt and shame afterwards is just so unbearable. I'm glad I have found others out there like me and the positiveness of people who have overcome it and moved on!
nikkilind
nikkilind
United States
2005/07/05, 05:13 PM
BUMP
rmatt
rmatt
United States
2005/09/09, 12:24 PM
Big Bump!:angry:
nikkilind
nikkilind
United States
2005/09/14, 02:24 PM
How are you doing rmatt? Have you stopped yet? :)

--------------
The greatest good you can do for another is not just to share your riches but to reveal to him his own. - Benjamin Disraeli
rmatt
rmatt
United States
2005/09/14, 02:47 PM
Yeah I'm doing great now! I'm keeping track of it now and I really think it's about the same time every month (if you know what I mean) I'm back into working out and cutting back on eating 5-6 small meals aday and NO SWEETS! When I eat just a little it triggers me to not want to stop till I'm sick. Thanks for checking in on me!!!:big_smile::)
rmatt
rmatt
United States
2005/09/19, 12:50 PM
Do you think there's anyway to over come binge eating without seeking medical help?
cassborn
cassborn
United States
2005/09/19, 09:23 PM
I have battled binge eating my entire life. This disease took me to 350 pounds. I got help from a twelve-step program and lost 190 pounds. I have been on my own since December of 2004 and I have gained 25 pounds. I am working very hard to get back to 175, which is a good weight for my height. One of the things that helped me lose the weight the first time was to establish a list of twenty-five things that I could do instead of binge eating. This list was one of the keys to my success. My desire to eat was real and it had to be satisfied but not with excessive eating. I stuck to my food plan and used non-food related rewards to meet the needs that the food was meeting.

I learned that I could not stuff or ignore my desire to eat but I could offer a substitute. I had to really think of things that I enjoyed doing and made plans each day to do something on my list. One of the most effective things was journaling. By journaling out some of my feelings, in many cases, soothed the pain and discomfort and then I could make clear healthy food choices.

I have not gone back to binge eating but I have picked up some of my old unhealthy habits. Joining this group and reaching out is something I can do instead of eating to hurt my body. I deserve to be healthy and fit and I don’t want to use food to hurt my body.:love:
stellababy
stellababy
United States
2005/10/23, 02:01 PM
Binge eating:could a problem-filled life trigger it? If so, no woneder I am this way. Do I need to get professional help? I've tried to overcome it on my own, but this time I'm really serious. Should I give myself 1 more chance to overcome it myself?
Good luck everyone!:)
Stella

--------------
quote Marva Collins:\"Excellence is not an act but a habit. The things you do most are the things you will do best.\"
:)
dendys
dendys
United States
2005/10/24, 07:26 PM
Having had an eating disorder for 17 years I can really understand. The saying goes, "it's not what you are eating, but what's eating you?' With that in mind, food is like a drug, we eat comfort foods, anything soft to make us feel better, or angry foods, anything hard and crunchy to make us feel better. What we have to learn is to become friends with food and use our food to fuel our bodys for good not to hurt ourselves. Through education, a twelve step program and the gym I have been in recover for 8 years and 11 months. Yes, seek the right help and free yourself from this horrible obbession, we all deserve to live a happy, free life from food and any other addiction. I love you all and God Bless. We all need it.
gwendela
gwendela
Canada
2005/12/05, 09:45 AM
I hate calorie counting all the time I'm obsessed I hate this, I know whats in everything and I eat a certain amount of food and the same food eveyday just so I don't gain. i'm 5'6 94 lbs I got 3 kids and want help, my husband hates me cause I take the fun out of eating and drinking and read every lable there is, and quicky add everything fast in my head then compansate on what to eat, does anyone know where a good web site is to help me, I have been bulimia free for 4 months now, if I could just get off this disorder with calories I'll be fine.
Ramlax
Ramlax
New Zealand
2005/12/22, 03:00 AM
HELP!!!!!!!!!! I have been goin thru a realli tough time with my eating. First i strtd with eating less and less and now i jus cnt stop eating. I am afraid that i mite become obese one day and am putting my health in danger. How do i stop compulsive eating. I've herd all the things ppl sey, like try to do othr things wen a binge is coming, but it is hard to do. Surely sum1 can cme with sum words of advice.

Thnx ppl
chezzap
chezzap
Uruguay
2006/10/28, 04:44 PM
i think u need to take it one step at a time if u feel u binge then maybe u shud cut out just one of the foods u binge on but continue eating the others until u gradually cut those out too. Another good tip is to have healthy wholesome foods at hand to snack on eg.carrot,celery sticks instead of crunchy high fat snacks and keeping protein levels high will help that way if u do end up bingeing then u will not b feeding your body with rubish and these foods have a lower Gi making u feel fuller longer.hope this helps . try to keep urself occupied if u feel that u r going to binge by doing something u enjoy i find laying down and thinking about y i might b craving food works well i ask myself if im really hungry or just bored . goodluck
k3p
k3p
United States
2008/10/15, 08:10 AM
I am 20 years old and I just joined this today because I am not sure what else to do. I cannot get control of my late night binge eating. I do so well all day, I eat healthy and work out and at night I cannot control my cravings. I eat thousands of calories so quickly until I feel sick. It makes me feel out of control and so depressed. This has been happening for awhile and I am not sure how to stop. I feel like I cant. I also do it in private so no one can see me because I am embarrassed. I need to figure something out soon because this is tearing apart my life. Does anyone have advice??
mlh2377
mlh2377
United States
2008/10/23, 12:29 AM
K3p - You sound exactly like me! I am in my early 30's and have fought binging for the past 7 years of my life. I had actaully been binge free for about 4 years and now it is creeping back up on me about the past 6 mos and I have gained about 8 lbs as a result. It seems that I will have about 1 binge a month, late at night (around midnight) and I too will eat as much as 3000 cals in one sitting. Mostly sweets. (In general sweets tend to be my down fall.) But, like you, I am fine during the day and on most days only consume about 1500 - 1700 calories. However these binges are obviously what is causing me to gain and the guilt after words is horrible. I don't understand becuase I feel like everything in my life is going great. I can honestly say that everyone in my life is wonderful. Last year when I turned 30, I was so happy becuase at that point it had probably been about 4 years without binging and my weight had really been stable for about 2 years. (135 size 6.) I just don't know what to do. I feel so helpless sometimes. It is crazy because from the outside people think that I have it all together and almost a perfect life, but in reality I have this horrible secret and just like you said, I feel like it is tearing up my life. But I know that I have overcome this in the past and there is not any reason that I cannot overcome this again. And maybe this is something that I am going to have to deal with for the rest of my life, and that is fine, I just don't want it to defeat me. Anyway, I saw that you had posted recently and you sound exactly like me so I just wanted to let you know that you are not alone!

============
Quoting from k3p:

I am 20 years old and I just joined this today because I am not sure what else to do. I cannot get control of my late night binge eating. I do so well all day, I eat healthy and work out and at night I cannot control my cravings. I eat thousands of calories so quickly until I feel sick. It makes me feel out of control and so depressed. This has been happening for awhile and I am not sure how to stop. I feel like I cant. I also do it in private so no one can see me because I am embarrassed. I need to figure something out soon because this is tearing apart my life. Does anyone have advice??
=============
Catarina88
Catarina88
Australia
2008/12/05, 08:24 AM
Hey K3p and mlh.
Ive only been on FT for like a week or so, and already i really do find it a help, just reading your posts helps me and i'm sure it helps others.
However anyones eating 'habits' have come around, its important to get on top of them. I struggle most days to resist temptation and other days/weeks and wonder what the hell my problem is and why sweets, goodies and chocolate ever had any hold over me... but they do!
My weight has fluctuated for a long time now, stress, i think, is a major trigger factor for alot of people.
But you know, nothing feels better than waking up in the morning and knowing all that you resisted temptation. (i've just resisted about 15mins ago, instead i had a subsitute, a hot chocolate, still a bit naughty, but you have to treat yourself)
The thing is, i think alot of people, like myself, asking for help, know what the answer is, its just nice to come on here and know there is some1 else a bit like you, your not the only one.
And EXERCISE really does help, even if you laps and give in to those bags of sweets! However 'guilty' you feel (even though your not guilty of anything) Go to the gym, go for that jog, walk the dog, it can only make you feel better, fact! Start where you mean to go on, just don't replace one addiction for another (food - exercise) One might be more healthy for the body, but its not healthy for the mind. Ever had a conversation with some1, and actually hardly listened to a word because all you thinking about it what you can eat next!! I have!
The thing is If you try and tell some1 about it that is close to you, and they haven't experienced it themselves, they think your being over-dramatic (well i've found that anyway, my mum actually laughed) but your not, just because you look healthy/slim/happy on the outside, doesn't mean everything is okay on the inside.
I hoping thats why we're all here anyway! To help each other! Its already helped me tonight, so thanks people!

(so so sorry for long post! I got carried away)
suffer_deeply
suffer_deeply
Philippines
2009/06/01, 01:58 PM
this might help you.....search on google Thank God I Had an Eating Disorder, this is a true story how did he/she overcome his/her eating disorder...
exbinger
exbinger
United States
2009/07/16, 08:49 PM
great to hear everyones stories - please keep posting them - very inspirational! i overcame my binge eating by following the tips and tricks that i came across on the website below. found their site very useful - they have a ton of info all about bingeing! i bought the book and was surprised with all the similarities it had to my own struggle, that alone helped me to realize where and what was causing my binge eating - may apply to yourself as well -worth a a shot - good luck!

www.compulsiveovereatinginfo.com

hope it helps you too ! good luck!

exbinger
exbinger
United States
2009/07/28, 09:39 PM
check out this website which provides tips and tricks on how to stop overeating - i found their survival guide very helpful - hope u do too.
www.compulsiveovereatinginfo.com

============
Quoting from angela86:

I'm 18 and new to these boards. I was searching for a place to come for support and advice because I've struggled for the past year or so with binge-eating, or compulsive eating disorder. As everyone knows who suffers the same affliction, the disorder comes with intense feelings of guilt and depression. This weekend I really faced facts and realized that I need to get a grip and I was looking here for any advice that may be relevent to help me get my life, or my eating habits, back on track... so if you have anything to share, it would be much appreciated... thanks...
=============
stopbingeeating
stopbingeeating
United States
2012/01/02, 01:55 AM
I hope this can help you: http://ehowtostopbingeeating.com/ It is an online site that will help you stop or control binge eating.
stopbingeeating
stopbingeeating
United States
2012/01/02, 02:03 AM
I hope this can help: http://ehowtostopbingeeating.com/ It is an internet site that will surely help you on how to stop or control binge eating.