Group: I am overweight or obese

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 381, Messages: 6449

Being overweight is a common trait these days and there is not enough help out there. Find out how you can shed those pounds and improve yourself from within.

Join group

I need Help

lashaquaya
lashaquaya
United States
2012/01/14, 01:16 PM
Im 23 years old and overweight. I weigh 256 lbs. I've struggled with my weight majority of my life. Last year around this time I was 275lbs. I lost 55lbs and got down to 220lbs. As you can see I have gained 36lbs and I can slowly feel myself raising again. I felt alot better and healthier when I was loosing. I was really proud of myself because I was doing what I set out to do majority of my life. I could really use some help and motivation. Any words of wisdom?
george
george
Canada
2012/01/14, 01:40 PM
First and foremost, thank you for joining the community - it's a big step and will be followed by many to reach your goals. Congrats!

Your 55lb weight loss is remarkable, good job. So you know what it takes to get there and you also know how easily it can slip back on if you lose track and dedication, motivation.

I would suggest you go back to what worked before. You can also start one of the home based plans.. I would suggest to setup a mon-wed-fri type schedule to start.

General rules that most people trying to lose weight should go by are eat more frequently, smaller meals instead of 2 or 3 large ones.. and take it slow.. 1-2 pounds of weight loss per week is a realistic and sound goal.

Last but not least check in with us often.. we'll be here to support you. Also you can start your own FLog entry (link at top) to put down your thoughts and progress or lack of for the day. It really does help to write it out..
wellthatslegit
wellthatslegit
United States
2012/01/16, 08:00 AM
I agree with George. And when it comes to your foods just stick to common sense. Ceaser salads perhaps, brown rice, lots of beans, occasional eggs or if you just have egg whites you can have them as often as you'd like. Fruits and leafy green veggies are good too, but try not to eat TOO many fruits, as they contain sugar (you do need SOME sugar to function though). And most importantly, make sure you are taking in ENOUGH calories. If you aren't, it's likely that you will feel slow and never feel up to excersizing and it can potentially be dangerous. Don't eat too many carbs a day. Buy wheat bread and limit yourself to 2 slices a day. 

Repetition is important. Once you find the foods that are healthy and that you like, eat them each week (mix them up in different combinations to keep it interesting). And do the same workout routine over and over again even if you aren't seeing results as soon as you hoped (give it time).
cmraines
cmraines
United States
2012/01/16, 08:51 AM
I feel your pain, I'm in the same situation and have gone back and forth over years with diet, exercise, and weight loss. However, last year I was diagnosed with high blood pressure and borderline diabetes. That was quite the wake up call for someone that had never had any health issues. After a year of trying to do it on my own I returned to freetrainers for their awesome programs ans support. With some discipline, and with motivation from each other, we can meet our goals :-)