Group: I am overweight or obese

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 381, Messages: 6449

Being overweight is a common trait these days and there is not enough help out there. Find out how you can shed those pounds and improve yourself from within.

Join group

Shortness of breath

Katumums
Katumums
United States
2010/04/11, 08:26 PM
Hi all, I have yet to update my profile but I'm 27, 5'6 and 190 lbs. I used to be 135 and alot of things contributed to my weight gain. I've gone to the docor multiple times for shortness of breath and all the tests came back normal. I thought it was Lithium so I lowered my dose. At first the shortness of breath was so much better but then it came back. So my new dr. said it was "de-conditioning" and I've been reluctant to believe her...since I'm not THAT overweight and there are people heavier than me without this problem. And because it gets so bad...I can't even go up my stairs without getting winded. It makes it hard to exercise. =/ Plus, I'm on a couple meds that can cause shortness of breath. Has anyone had this problem and if so, will cardio make it go away? Like, if I start slow and build my endurance?

Thanks and I'm sorry it was so long! =)
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2010/04/12, 02:09 PM
you went from 135 to 190? So a 60 lb weight gain? If so i would say that the doc is right you are over ewight and that is likely the root cause of this problem. As for cardio yes it should help....as with any new exercise plan check with the doc to make sure you are ok to do so. YES start slow and add to the effort...good luck and welcome to the site.

--------------
FOR MY WIFE:
THE HIGH COST OF LIVING AINT NOTHING COMPARED TO THE COST OF LIVING HIGH.

7707mutt@freetrainers.com
Katumums
Katumums
United States
2010/04/13, 10:27 PM
Thanks for your reply. I guess I didn't want to accept that I'm overweight enough to cause shortness of breath. =/ Thanks again for your advice and congrats on the weight loss! =)