Group: General Diet & Nutrition

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 399, Messages: 16719

With such a topic so broad we truly try to cover the basics from all angles in this group. Nothing too big or too small. Nutrition is as significant if not more as exercise is to reaching your goals so learn all you can.

Join group

weight loss Help

Happy95
Happy95
United States
2009/01/08, 09:43 AM
Hi I made this profile for my daughter thinking it would get her moving. She did two days of training then stop. Her Story is a long one but, we need HELP. She was born with Cerebral Palsy, so has been Label with that her whole thirteen years. She is physical able to do most things we all can. He disability is mostly fine and gross motor skills. She had never ridden a bike due to her being obese and lack of balance confident. I have try to get her to walk with me or by herself seeing we have five golden retrievers that also need exercise but most time she doesn't want to or she walks about half way around the block is done.we have in the last 8mths have joined weight watchers the first week she did really well, lost five pounds but in the last 7months she has gained more than loss. I have healthy food available and treat to get her to watch what she is eating and portion size. Unfortunately, I work and therefore am not here to watch her. So I will come home and she will have had a box of mac and cheese by herself, I also buy slim fast bar,and she low fat snacks but I find not that she will eat one but two, or three in one day. I have tried to explain that the bars are suppose to curb your hungry for up to four hours and she should only eat them as a meal replacement. She gets really mad at me because I am always asking her about exercise and is she writing down what she eats etc. I'm seriously concern about her health. She has been to a weight loss dr. and had blood type drawn and amazing it came back within normal range. He had given her a vitamin B supplement to help suppress her apatite, but she will not take them because she has choke on one before. I have a very laided back personality, not authoritative at all. I watched the biggest loser and though maybe I need to be like Jillian with her and just make her do it whether it hurts or what not. Then I worry about her having self esteem issues, eating disorder later in life. She is THIRTEEN and weights 298 pds . her height is 5'6. Could someone PLEASE HELP US! My mom even wrote a letter to Oprah , no response. Her Dr. has told her before if she doesn't lose some weight she could die, and it scared her for about 1 week, then back to normal eating.
returnofplex
returnofplex
United States
2009/01/08, 10:56 AM
It seems like she is unwilling to budge on the most important aspect of being healthy: Her diet. Slim fast bars are a waste, so you can stop spending money on those whenever you're ready. I think that what needs to happen is to change the foods that are available in the home. If there isn't any mac and cheese to eat, she can't eat it. Stock up on healthier options like fruit and veggies.
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2009/01/08, 01:32 PM
If it isn't there she can't eat it.

--------------
So what? Im still a rockstar, Ive got my rock moves.....

www.physicalfitnet.com/amy4training
Tolman24
Tolman24
United States
2009/01/15, 03:22 PM
That was going to be my answer as well, if it is not there she will not eat it. Keep plenty of fruits and healthy snacks. Try and stay away from processed foods. You will have to change your diet to match her needs if you want to facilitate change. If you have other family members they will be affected as well. At that point you will know how concerned you and the rest of the family is about her health. Not passing judgement, just speaking from experience. You wouldn't keep crack in the house with an addict, or booze in the house with an alcoholic would you? At this point it sounds like you have a food addict in the house.

Because she is 13, at the very least she will get some exercise walking to the store or fast food place since she is to young to drive.

Keep in mind that diet plays a much greater role in obesity than exercise. You can not exercise yourself thin without a diet change. Weight is simple math, calories in - calories burned = body weight. Walking 45 minutes at a brisk pace may burn 300 calories. 2 slim fast bars will nullify the calories burned in 45 minutes. You do the math. Exercise will definitely improve your health and should be part of the plan, just not the entire plan.

On the other hand, I may just be full of crap.

Good luck.