Group: Competitive Bodybuilding & Fitness

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 21, Messages: 5367

Discuss the process of preparing for a competition on the sport of body building, fitness and more!

Join group

just when you think you work out hard...

Velasca
Velasca
United States
2007/07/30, 06:22 PM
Many of you that have already competed know this and are smirking and chuckling at me as you read this...but those of you that havent had the opportunity should really take a moment, sit down, and do some heart to heart with yourself...

So, yes, there is alot of hard physical and mental work involved. More than you can probably fathom at the moment. Most of us go to the gym 5-6 days a week and really put our heart and souls into it..or do we????

Just when you think your eating *clean*...you must eat cleaner...sacrifice....I never realized what a scientific approach was really involved..and omg..th craaavvvvvinngggs...depletion....arggggh!!!!

Then your workout....you will cry, cringe, sweat, ache, groan...push yourself harder...everyday..twice a day..etc...find muscles that ache that you didnt even know you had...

mentally..you will become moody...depressed, paranoid, angry, elated, any emotion that you can think of you will feel...more than once thats for sure...

and as your comp date gets closer it just becomes 100x's as intense...

Are you ready?..is your family ready?...your friends?..your work??.

I even sat down with my boss...and explained to him everything that i was doing and what i will be anticipating to experience up til the wk of comp..which btw i took off...

Does it get easier each competition?..this I ask of the experts...because I know this sounds extreme...and maybe some ppl handle stress, pressure better than others..but this is one of the greatest challenges I am enduring.....and hell, this is only figure competition....I can only anticipate what Bodybuilding will be like...and I will be ready...o yes...I will...

--------------
There is no such thing as a *set point*. Im only set on getting past this point :)
Velasca
Velasca
United States
2007/07/30, 08:45 PM
Its an absolutely amazing experience....as i get leaner and leaner I really CAN tell how my body responds...only when i thought i knew before...and timing of foods, sleep, supplements...you really begin to see where it all ties in.....and just when you think you have will power, dedication, etc..

I wasnt competitive in anything as a child..and my parents never encouraged me or taught me how to *push* myself...so this may not be anything new to those that were in sports as a child/young adult etc..

But this is teaching me things about myself I never knew..its a totally love/hate thing..

and im already apologizing..hehehehe

btw....i cant thank everyone here enough for EVERYTHING!!!...if anything at all transpires from this, I will find a way to promote all the peeps here at FT..you folks are absolutely awesome..and I cant thank you all enough for the insight, support, resources, and patience over the past 10 months or so...I have so much more to learn, but i cant tell you all enough how greatful I am for you all helping me turn my life around in so many ways :)

--------------
There is no such thing as a *set point*. Im only set on getting past this point :)
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2007/07/30, 08:24 PM
Yes, it does get easier in the fact that you begin to know how your body responds. Is it easier phsysically, mentally? Probably not. I remember each one, same thing, apologizing to my wife and everyone else afterwards.

--------------
Baseball is the only field of endeavor where a man can succeed three times out of ten and be considered a good performer

asimmer
asimmer
United States
2007/08/01, 09:38 AM
You can do it - Velasca!!!!!!

It sounds like you are where you need to be mentally...

Good luck!

--------------
Permanence, perseverance and persistence in spite of all obstacles, discouragements, and impossibilities: It is this, that in all things distinguishes the strong soul from the weak.
Thomas Carlyle

Lindsay22
Lindsay22
United States
2007/08/07, 12:51 PM
I just made the decision yesterday to compete for the first time in April. I know I'm in for lots of work, dedication and pain, but Im ready, and its something that i want. But still...I'm nervous and worried. I warned my friends and family that Im doing this and will need their support, and they all undoubtedly agree, however, I just dont think they realize just how much I need their support, and what lyes ahead.
Velasca
Velasca
United States
2007/08/07, 07:04 PM
best of luck :D

--------------
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2007/08/07, 07:14 PM
You are probably quite right. Any who has not ever done this really has no clue what it entails. No matter how 'pissed off' your friends get or how much they try to sway you as to " why are you doing this to yourself", and it is not worth it, just stay mentally tough. Completing the journey is indeed a victory in itself.

============
Quoting from lindsay22:

I just made the decision yesterday to compete for the first time in April. I know I'm in for lots of work, dedication and pain, but Im ready, and its something that i want. But still...I'm nervous and worried. I warned my friends and family that Im doing this and will need their support, and they all undoubtedly agree, however, I just dont think they realize just how much I need their support, and what lyes ahead.
=============

--------------
Baseball is the only field of endeavor where a man can succeed three times out of ten and be considered a good performer

Velasca
Velasca
United States
2007/08/08, 08:25 PM
i begin to wonder sometimes if its insanity or determination....havent quite nailed that one yet :p

============
Quoting from bb1fit:

You are probably quite right. Any who has not ever done this really has no clue what it entails. No matter how 'pissed off' your friends get or how much they try to sway you as to " why are you doing this to yourself", and it is not worth it, just stay mentally tough. Completing the journey is indeed a victory in itself.

=============

--------------
msmogreen
msmogreen
United States
2007/08/09, 12:11 AM
Velasca--thank you for the warning! I thought I was scared before :-).

Lindsay--I'm right there with you. My first comp is in March. The scariest part is having the holidays so close to my comp date. But, we can do it!
Velasca
Velasca
United States
2007/08/09, 05:54 PM
one of my family members asked me the other day how my training was coming along and if i was having fun with it...(sigh)
Lindsay22
Lindsay22
United States
2007/08/10, 09:02 AM
Velasca - are you??????
Velasca
Velasca
United States
2007/08/10, 03:58 PM
ummm..surrrreee... :p

as it gets closer things get more intense..emotionally and with diet and training of course...but there are moments when im excited...trying to keep the momentum and morale up...

i think everyone has their strengths..mine is the diet part..and consistency with the training and diet....its the emotional part that is hardest for me...
Velasca
Velasca
United States
2007/08/28, 08:28 PM
I am less than 4 weeks out from my competition. I finally hit 115 which has been my goal weight since I started dieting February of last year and weighed 185#.

I dont know what my body fat is at but i know its not in the *teens* anymore. I am sick of tuna/fish and chicken already. This has definitely been a test of will power for sure.

I actually have been getting in just alittle more sleep which helps some...

I cant begin to tell you how important it is to drink WATER...i hate drinking water.. but i bought this 2L jug at walmart and fill it up everyday and make sure i finish it before i leave work.. then whatever more water i get in during the gym and the evening is extra...and to be honest..its really not enough cause i still feel dehydrated half the time..

this sounds so vain, but sometimes i find myself running my hands over my shoulders and arms to feel the cut in my muscles...how beautiful the striations look and the definition.. .I will miss them when i bulk for the winter..I still dont have a 6 pack...too much loose skin..but they are down there..and you can see my obliques slightly if i pop them just right :p

I am as ready as ill ever be....i just have to keep doing what im doing but somehow find the time now to fit in even more *posing* time...

Hopefully everyone else is pumped and ready to rock n roll too!! Good Luck to anyone else who may be competing as well :D

P.S i proved there isnt a SET POINT!!!!! RAWR!!!!!

--------------
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2007/08/28, 08:34 PM
Way to go I remember when you were a timid little newbie and look at ya now!

--------------
Curl Jockeys, get outta the squat rack!

I wish everyone would get a partial amnesia and never use 'tone' ever again. (thanks Menance)

7707mutt@freetrainers.com
Velasca
Velasca
United States
2007/08/28, 08:37 PM
:D

--------------
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2007/08/29, 11:01 AM
So awesome - velasca!!!! You looked that set point in the eye and knocked it on it's ass!!!!!!

Good luck in your competition - and remember - it is okay to feel up your own muscles, just don't get busted doing it :)

--------------
Permanence, perseverance and persistence in spite of all obstacles, discouragements, and impossibilities: It is this, that in all things distinguishes the strong soul from the weak.
Thomas Carlyle

tuin
tuin
Mexico
2007/08/29, 11:19 AM
Congrats!!! :dumbbell:
stevehwms
stevehwms
United States
2007/08/29, 07:05 PM
Fantastic work Velasca!
Velasca
Velasca
United States
2007/08/29, 08:56 PM
ty all!!! it is/has been alot of work..and i dont think i would have got past my *set point* if it wasnt for the competition...i cant wait to bulk up....i miss my strength :/

--------------
Ravenbeauty
Ravenbeauty
United States
2007/08/30, 01:35 AM
Beautiful work Velasca, that is all I have to say. HOW AWESOME ARE YOU!:)

--------------
Bettia

Life is all about timing... the unreachable becomes reachable, the unavailable become available, the unattainable... attainable. Have the patience, wait it out It is all about timing.
-Stacey Chapman
flyonthewall
flyonthewall
Canada
2007/08/30, 08:19 AM
You've made an incredible transformation Velasca and doing the comp will just be the icing on the cake to validate your success. The dedication this kind of thing takes is mind boggling, so kudo's to you for sticking with it. Make sure you get some pics from the comp!!

--------------
Even if you are on the right track, you will get run over if you just sit there.
--------------
The harder you fall, the higher you bounce
drieman
drieman
United States
2007/08/31, 09:28 AM
I can only hope I end up with a body like yours when I reach my goals!!! You look awsome!!

Debbie

--------------
Success is not for the chosen few but rather for the few who choose it.
Velasca
Velasca
United States
2007/08/31, 09:13 PM
thx so much for all your support...much success to all of you as well with your goals and dreams...

I only hope that I am not setting myself up for failure by entering into this....

alot of emotions going on here..ill stop now before i rant and/or whine..lol

--------------
stevehwms
stevehwms
United States
2007/09/02, 07:07 PM
You can't lose! Even if you didn't win the comp, you will walk out of there in fantastic shape and the confidence that comes from knowing that you can do anything if you want it badly enough. Great job! I hope you win the competition too.
Lindsay22
Lindsay22
United States
2007/09/07, 09:19 AM
Velasca, great new picture!!!! When is your show? I just started working with my trainer for my figure show in April. You're defintely my motivation to keep my head up, and an inspiration! What will be your first meal when its all done?? i bet you can taste it now! :)
Velasca
Velasca
United States
2007/09/07, 06:03 PM
my first meal will be anything that i can get my hands on that nite and that late in the evening..lmao

its almost around the corner....i have learned so much about my body....how it responds to foods, supplements...everything a person needs to know is right here at this website...its just a matter of applying what works for you and going from there...

thanks to everyone again for the compliments and motivation... :)

--------------
I am proof there isnt a *set point* :D
Velasca
Velasca
United States
2007/09/07, 09:45 PM
actually..i think im gonna have a friend/family bring a jar of peanut butter and hershey's bar to dip it in...omg i miss chocolate and peanut butter...ill probably get sick and just puke tho..hhahahahaha

============
Quoting from lindsay22:

Velasca, great new picture!!!! When is your show? I just started working with my trainer for my figure show in April. You're defintely my motivation to keep my head up, and an inspiration! What will be your first meal when its all done?? i bet you can taste it now! :)
=============

--------------
Velasca
Velasca
United States
2007/09/19, 12:18 PM
as I come into my final days til my competition I am extremely excited...However, I want to say some things, but i dont want to throw out any negatives either to those that are persuing *figure* competition...

so I will say this...I do not regret following this path...its been/is a great challange...however, plz be sure you talk to your nutritionist and/or personal trainer as to exactly what the WHOLE process is...up to and including those last few weeks/days til your competition....im more so talking about the *diet*...

when you see these fitness models and these athletes in magazines and videos..they arent in their *everyday* form...some DO stay CLOSE to competitively lean all year round, but not usually...

I have said it in my past posts, but figure is not for me, as far as how I like to train and eat...especially for my bodytype...i plan to persue BB and compete in a novice lvl event early summer of '08..after that i will be done...

Ideally, I just want to be healthy and stay *in shape*...but I have found that I dont want to wrap up my life into one thing...thats why i left *gaming* in the first place...there is so much more out there in life to see... I must find *balance* to my life.. :D

here I quote a figure pro:

"It is very easy for the life of a competitor to take over one's life, especially when a pro-card is at stake. This can easily force a competitor to burn out very fast. Be careful when you are training, dieting and competing that you are balancing your life's priorities with your shows and training".

--------------
georgiagirl
georgiagirl
United States
2007/09/19, 12:50 PM
Good luck and I hope you find the balance you are looking for.

--------------
Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. Security does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than exposure.---Helen Keller
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2007/09/19, 07:58 PM
Yes - it is not a normal or sustainable diet by any means.

You will find that balance, you have come this far!

--------------
Thomas Carlyle