Group: Competitive Bodybuilding & Fitness

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 21, Messages: 5367

Discuss the process of preparing for a competition on the sport of body building, fitness and more!

Join group

How Often should i take them per day?

ParaHCC
ParaHCC
Australia
2007/04/23, 04:21 PM
I am taking protein shakes on a daily basis but not sure about how often i should take them per day and when. I do weights training every second day, and might do some cardio or play sport on the day off. At the moment i take them after meals generally and after i do weights training, is this correct? someone told me to take them every 3 hours, seems excessive? :dumbbell:
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2007/04/23, 08:57 PM
The only time you actually 'need' one, and even then unless you are a athlete with certain goals in mind, is post workout.

Any time other than that would be mainly just to meet your protein needs for the day, if you do not eat enough for instance.

Now during the day it is best to consume a slower digesting protein instead of whey, casein for instance. This is if you take the shake by itself, as whey is known for rapid assimilation, this is why it is ideal post workout. If you are taking it with a mixed meal, then no real issues.

If taking it by itself, a slower digesting protein as noted above would be wise.

--------------
"If it ain't broke, you aren't trying."