Group: I am overweight or obese

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 381, Messages: 6449

Being overweight is a common trait these days and there is not enough help out there. Find out how you can shed those pounds and improve yourself from within.

Join group

Cardio vs. Weights

kaiaw
kaiaw
United States
2004/05/16, 12:40 AM
I'm 21 and want to lose about 100lbs. I joined a gym 3 weeks ago doing mostly cardio and have been faithfully watching my carbs and what I eat. My main goal is to lose the weight- my lifestyle itself has always kept me very strong in my arms, etc. Is it necessary for me to do alot of weight training? I don't want to cut cardio- i'm doing 4-5 miles/day right now... Any advice?
vivavegas02
vivavegas02
United States
2004/05/16, 08:45 PM
Hi, you should be doing both weight training and cardio. Basically what happens with weight training is you build more muscle... that burns calories for you even when you are not doing anything. More muscle you have the more fat you get rid of.

Have you heard of HIIT? High Intensity Interval Training. I would work your way up to that. That is supposed to burn a lot of fat. But I have read you need to work your way up to doing that.

What is your diet like? You do still need carbs in your diet.

I cannot do more than two miles on cardio. Way to go!!!
Philia2
Philia2
France
2004/05/17, 02:28 AM
Ok, I'll explain it like this:
- Doing a lot of cardio as only exercise can make you loose weight fast but as soon as you stop you'll risk to put on back the weight.
- Doing only weight training will make you sculpt a beautiful body but it'll take a little longer to loose the fat.
- Now doing BOTH cardio and weight training will make you loose the fat, sculpt a gorgeous body, keep your metabolism high AND it's A LOT easier to keep that body AFTER the diet is done.........
Both is important. :dumbbell::love:

--------------
- Nina :o) Les Victoires éternelles sont celles du coeur.
www.nme-pro.com
kaiaw
kaiaw
United States
2004/05/17, 02:49 PM
Thanks for the help vivavegas and philia2. Today is the first day of the ft weight training program so I'm going to give weights a shot, but still keep my cardio afterwards, so hopefully this goes well- I'm actually on my way out the door to head to the gym now. Wish me luck! :)
CristalBelle
CristalBelle
United States
2004/05/17, 02:59 PM
I think it was either Jdelts or bb1fit that told me if you have to choose between cardio or weights, choose the weights, but that doing both will be the most effective for weight loss.