Group: I am overweight or obese

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 381, Messages: 6449

Being overweight is a common trait these days and there is not enough help out there. Find out how you can shed those pounds and improve yourself from within.

Join group

Risk of obesity

shp
shp
India
2004/02/19, 08:56 AM
:love:girls go away from you
ioioio
ioioio
Kuwait
2004/02/19, 10:31 AM
is that the way you want to start this.....welocme to all the ppl who have juat seen this new topic, goo:dumbbell::dumbbell::):cool::):dumbbell:d luck
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2004/02/19, 10:49 AM
The Scientific Definition of Obesity and its Dangers
By Dr. Tanner

Prevalence

An estimated 97 million adults in the United States, 55% of the population, are overweight or obese (body mass index >25)1, 2
The NHANES study of 1988-1994 indicated that 27% of females and 21% of males are obese (BMI >30)3
The prevalence of obesity increased from 12% in 1991 to 18% in 1998. Increases were seen in both sexes and all socioeconomic classes, with the greatest increase seen in 18- to 29-year-olds and in those who have achieved higher education

Obesity rates are underestimated because overweight people tend to underestimate their weight and overestimate their height

Etiology

Obesity is a chronic condition that develops as a result of an interaction between a person's genetic makeup and their environment. How and why obesity occurs are not well understood; however, social, behavioral, cultural, psychological, metabolic, and genetic factors are involved
Among possible hormones involved, leptin, discovered in 1994, has received the most attention. Leptin appears to regulate adipose proliferation and modulate eating behavior.6 A 1999 study showed that subcutaneous therapy with recombinant leptin produced weight loss in both obese and lean subjects
Heritability studies indicate that genetic factors may be responsible for up to 70% of the variation in people's weight Weight gain is dependent on a person's energy intake being greater than energy expenditure. One pound (0.45 kg) is equal to 3,500 calories. Therefore, a person consuming 500 calories more than he or she expends daily will gain 1 lb a week. A person's body weight tends to range within 10% of a set value. Weight alterations in either direction cause changes in energy expenditure that favor a return to the set-point.8 This mechanism helps explain the terrible problem of recidivism following attempted weight loss

Complications

Relative risk (p78) greater than 3,
Type 2 diabetes mellitus, gallbladder disease, hypertension, hyperlipidemia, and sleep apnea
Relative risk 2 to 3
Coronary artery disease, knee osteoarthritis, and gout
Relative risk 1 to 2
Breast, endometrial, or colon cancer; low back pain
The relationship between obesity and comorbidities is stronger among individuals younger than 55 years.10 After age 74, there is no longer an association between increased BMI and mortality
Hypertension is the most common obesity-related disease. Hypertension and weight class are strongly associated in persons younger than 55 years (see below for definitions of weight class)
About 80% of people with type 2 diabetes are obese
Hypercholesterolemia is prevalent in obese persons, but its incidence does not increase with increasing weight class. The incidence of diabetes, osteoarthritis, and gallbladder disease increases as weight increases
The prevalence of cardiovascular disease is significantly elevated for obesity class 1 in males and for all three obesity classes in females

Diet and exercise have been shown to be ineffective over the long term. More than 90% of people who attempt to lose weight gain it all back.

Even in clinical trials that demonstrate substantial weight loss, the lost weight tends to be regained once supervision concludes. On the positive side, sustained weight loss has been shown to improve blood pressure and lipid and glucose levels. A reasonable goal is to lose 10% of body weight over a 6-month period
Patients with BMIs in the range of 27 to 35 should be encouraged to lose 0.5 to 1 lb a week at a daily calorie deficit of 300 to 500. Patients with BMIs above 35 should lose 1 to 2 lb a week at a daily calorie deficit of 500 to 1,000

Physical activity is a necessary component of every weight loss plan. Exercise contributes to weight loss and maintenance, may decrease abdominal fat, and increases cardiorespiratory fitness.
Initial exercise goal: moderate activity for 30 to 45 minutes 3 to 5 days a week
Long-term exercise goal: at least 30 minutes of moderate to intense exercise per day1
Behavior therapy: advice for patients
Eat three meals a day at about the same time each day sitting at a table
Focus on the meal. Eat slowly. Avoid distractions such as television or magazines Cook small amounts; use small plates Avoid second helpings. Clean plates directly into the garbage
Abstracted from Western Journal of Medicine January 2002;176:23-28

--------------
If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything....
cherbhere2
cherbhere2
United States
2004/02/24, 05:48 PM
BB1- You seem to really know your stuff- I'm 5'6 and currently 203lbs.(goal- 130-150lbs)
I just started 2 weeks ago going to the gym. I now go M-F in the mornings and get anywhere from 15-30 mins cardio in before breakfast- then M-W-F evenings I work weights with a trainer- and T-Th evenings more Cardio...
I just started (this week)a diet cosisting of 60% carbs- 20% protien - 20% fat.
Any idea as to how soon I should start seeing results???
Everyone says "soon" - but no one says ... ex- 1 month- 3 months- 6 months... etc.

Not that I'm in any hurry... but would be nice to visualize. =)

Thanks!!!
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2004/02/24, 06:42 PM
With those macro ratios, I really don't think you will see the results you are looking for unfortuantely. Where did you come up with those?

--------------
msc715
msc715
United States
2004/02/25, 09:30 PM

If I may jump in here, my diet consisted of about 50% protein, 30% carb, 20% fat (maybe even less fat.) My weight dropped from 252 (May 13, 2002) to 150 (May 20, 2003), but I was also found to have thyroid issues, I probably overrestricted my calories and I stripped away quite a bit of muscle. I'd recommend simply dropping your calories and/or raising your exercise so that you're eating 500 calories less (or burning 500 calories more) in any combination per day. Basically, to lose a pound of fat, you need to eat 3500 less calories per week, hence the 500 per day change. I also found that having my last meal more than three hours (five in my case) really helped. Also, divide your daily calories into five or six small meals (every three hours or so), not three big ones. These sound like radical changes, but they really came easy at times. I even lost my taste for junk food. Best wishes.
============
Quoting from cherbhere2:

BB1- You seem to really know your stuff- I'm 5'6 and currently 203lbs.(goal- 130-150lbs)
I just started 2 weeks ago going to the gym. I now go M-F in the mornings and get anywhere from 15-30 mins cardio in before breakfast- then M-W-F evenings I work weights with a trainer- and T-Th evenings more Cardio...
I just started (this week)a diet cosisting of 60% carbs- 20% protien - 20% fat.
Any idea as to how soon I should start seeing results???
Everyone says "soon" - but no one says ... ex- 1 month- 3 months- 6 months... etc.

Not that I'm in any hurry... but would be nice to visualize. =)

Thanks!!!
=============
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2004/02/26, 12:00 AM
250 per day every 2 weeks is an ideal way to go. Anything more can be a trauma to the body, and result in a huge loss of lean tissue. With 250 per day, you shouldn't miss a beat and have plenty energy.

--------------

bb1fit@freetrainers.com
cherbhere2
cherbhere2
United States
2004/02/26, 10:36 PM
The gym I go to set the ratio's via a computer program (not sure if I can mention its name) - anyhow- I've drastically reduced my calories- basically down to 1200-1500 cals a day.
I've cut out all junk food (which was almost a daily thing for me) and all sweets. I'm not sure what my cals were prior to this- but I'm sure a bunch more! Plus- prior to this my life was very sedintary- no moving.. not even so much as walking a mile.... so these 2 weeks have been a big step for me-
I'm still hopeful that something will show soon!
Thanks!!!
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2004/02/27, 10:52 AM
Be careful when just beginning. It is not uncommon to try to cut everything bad you did out all at once in a gung ho effort. But this normally leads after a short period of time to excessive cravings for things. You may want to try not such a drastic approach, little things at a time, it will be much easier for you. 1200 calorie drop per day is a huge number, and if it is all from "goodies" also that you are used to having, you are runing a big risk here of falling off the wagon so to speak very quickly. Be careful.

--------------

bb1fit@freetrainers.com
mmaibohm
mmaibohm
United States
2004/02/29, 04:09 AM
bb1fit you are so correct. I went a few years back to a nutritionist and she cut me back to 2000 calories per day. I was eating some where around 3500, It was very hard to stick to and ulitimately I failed. So I started my own step down process and it worked wonders. - Mike

--------------
I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it is gone past me I will turn to see fear's path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain
cherbhere2
cherbhere2
United States
2004/03/02, 02:48 PM
Thanks guys-
I've been doing great with this- I once lost 100lbs buy cutting out cold turkey- so I know its hard work... I gained all but 20 of those pounds back due to thyroid and 'financial' problems...
I'm not so worried about falling off the wagon.. cause I know the consiquenses...
I'll keep all posted on my progress.. so far- down one pant size... yippee.. and biceps are now "noticeable"... =)
Thanks again!!!
mmaibohm
mmaibohm
United States
2004/03/02, 03:06 PM
Good job cherbhere2!!

--------------
I am that
which must be feared, worshipped and adored. The world is mine
now and forever.No one holds command over me. No man. No god.
shp
shp
India
2004/03/03, 06:21 AM
the scientific studies have proved that going to gym and taking weights can cause heart deseases as it prevents entry of blood:love:
cherbhere2
cherbhere2
United States
2004/03/03, 02:35 PM
HUH?
"the scientific studies have proved that going to gym and taking weights can cause heart deseases as it prevents entry of blood"
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2004/03/03, 03:05 PM
I am not sure what you mean by this? There was a very smal study that looked at people with major heart problems and lifting weights hard and heavy was linked to a few dying. Does that mean you should stop? NO, but it does mean that if you have heart problems you should look into a doctor proscribed routine. shp I would love to read that study you refer to...............?

--------------
LIFT HEAVY! BECOME STRONG, LIKE BULL!

7707mutt@freetrainers.com
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2004/03/03, 07:22 PM
Where does this type of nonsense come from? Please post your sources/study.:big_smile:

============
Quoting from shp:

the scientific studies have proved that going to gym and taking weights can cause heart deseases as it prevents entry of blood:love:
=============

--------------

bb1fit@freetrainers.com
mmaibohm
mmaibohm
United States
2004/03/03, 07:31 PM
Well I have heart disease and bust my Rear lifting weight I feel better I am starting to look better and I am still Alive. Combined with Meds and cardio my heart is getting stronger!!.

--------------
I am that
which must be feared, worshipped and adored. The world is mine
now and forever.No one holds command over me. No man. No god.
shp
shp
India
2004/03/04, 09:20 PM
I am male 17yrs old my weight/height is 93kg/178cm when i consulted some doctors in our locality they warned me of going to gym telling me that i will get heart problem and they also warned me from running(exercise).They told that the studies they conducted had revealed this harmful effect.

Please help me in this situation as i need suggestions how to reduce my weight 70kg in less time